Little Dot Micro+ with Sennheiser HD25-1
Dec 28, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Moody

Head-Fier
I hope someone can help me out here. Please forgive me my n00byness (even for the word n00byness
wink.gif
)

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1's and I mostly use them with my laptop.

My question: Does the Little Dot Micro+ improve the sound or can't the HD25-1 be improved by such a 'small' amp?

My budget is about $100, so maybe somebody knows a better sollution? (doesn't have to be portable).

Side question: Is a 'bigger' amp like the little Dot II++ worth the extra money in your opinion? (HD25-1 with laptop)

Thanks!!

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 4
Depending on your current configuration, you might consider the Echo Indigo DJ PC Card. It has a line out and a built-in headphone amp. Sound quality is very good with headphones such as the HD25-1, ATH-ES7 and Shure E500. You might find a used one in the FS Forum for a reasonable price not much more than US$100.

Unless your laptop's line out or headphone port is very good, you might have better results improving the source as well as adding amplification. With the Indigo DJ, you'll have a good source and decent headphone amp, and you can always add an amp later and use its line out.

Other options include amp/USB DAC combinations such as the HeadRoom Total BitHead and Meier PortaCorda. These would require a USB cable and an external box, a bulkier solution than the Indigo DJ.

If you're running WinXP, the Indigo DJ works well with ASIO4ALL.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depending on your current configuration, you might consider the Echo Indigo DJ PC Card. It has a line out and a built-in headphone amp. Sound quality is very good with headphones such as the HD25-1, ATH-ES7 and Shure E500. You might find a used one in the FS Forum for a reasonable price not much more than US$100.

Unless your laptop's line out or headphone port is very good, you might have better results improving the source as well as adding amplification. With the Indigo DJ, you'll have a good source and decent headphone amp, and you can always add an amp later and use its line out.

Other options include amp/USB DAC combinations such as the HeadRoom Total BitHead and Meier PortaCorda. These would require a USB cable and an external box, a bulkier solution than the Indigo DJ.

If you're running WinXP, the Indigo DJ works well with ASIO4ALL.

Thank you for your answer!

So you say this Indigo DJ is far more better sollution than an amp like the Little Dot Micro+? I liked the price of the LD Micro+ very much, the Indigo DJ is 3,5x more expensive (58 euros shipped vs. 190 euros shipped - both new)

My laptop is an Acer 8100 series with S/PDIF out. I don't know how my laptop compares with other laptops in terms of output.

Can anyone else tell if Elephas' sollution is the best one or that a budget amp will also be a good sollution? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back