Little Dot II + , what are your thoughts on the amp now?
Dec 19, 2006 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jmmtn4aj

Headphoneus Supremus
And before you strike thee down, I did search and I did find that huge thread on LD2+s, but I need a summary on the community's collective thoughts about it.

I'm thinking of buying an LD2+ second hand from one who says he has used it for a month. So that means two things- the tubes probably aren't close to the end of their lifes yet, and that the amp actually works. So exactly what were the problems with the LD2+? Was it that they didn't work, spoilt easily, or didn't have a consistent sound (bad tube QC?) ?

Also, how often does one have to change the tubes on average in number of hours? And where does one order the replacement tubes from and for how much? The price is pretty good, but I don't want to be ordering tubes every month.

Dec 19, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And before you strike thee down, I did search and I did find that huge thread on LD2+s, but I need a summary on the community's collective thoughts about it.

I'm thinking of buying an LD2+ second hand from one who says he has used it for a month. So that means two things- the tubes probably aren't close to the end of their lifes yet, and that the amp actually works. So exactly what were the problems with the LD2+? Was it that they didn't work, spoilt easily, or didn't have a consistent sound (bad tube QC?) ?

Also, how often does one have to change the tubes on average in number of hours? And where does one order the replacement tubes from and for how much? The price is pretty good, but I don't want to be ordering tubes every month.

The LD2+ has exceptional sound reproduction for its price. That being said, however, some models have arcing problems while the later produced ones have flashing in power tubes upon start-up. The flashing do not affect sound reproduction. The normal lifespan for high quality tubes would be around 3000-5000 hours. Nonetheless, i think these various technical problems will shorten the LD2+ stock tubes to be less than 1000 hours.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Awesome. I don't quite understand how tube amps work, so are the problems inherent in/caused by the tubes or the rest of the unit?

I think most of the users on Head-fi believe it is due to a problem with the design.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Ah.. And how much are the replacement tubes? Any choice or am I restricted to the LD's manufacturer's?

The replacement tubes cost you about $20 shipped when you buy directly from LD, and there is very little "tube-rolling" choice on the LD2+, so you're pretty much stuck with tubes from LD.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 27
Hmm, at 1000 hours lifespan and 3 hours of listening a day.. 333 days. Does the lifespan involve the amp being on and nothing playing through it? Cause I leave my amps on a lot longer than I play music through em..

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Hmm, at 1000 hours lifespan and 3 hours of listening a day.. 333 days. Does the lifespan involve the amp being on and nothing playing through it? Cause I leave my amps on a lot longer than I play music through em..

You should never leave tube amps on unattended or for an extended period of time. Plus, it is unwise to assume that you will listen to headphones EVERYDAY.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 27
I have had my LDII+ for four months under heavy use (~5 hours a day) and have not had a tube failure yet. Actually, I have not seen reports of tube failure from anyone on this forum... and many have had the amp for longer than myself. No offense to penguindude, but the 1000 hours he quoted was really arbitrary (although reasonable in light of the arching problem!), IMHO I think it's more rigorous to say that at this point we just don't know. LD claims that the power tubes should last 3000~5000 hours, we'll see about that in a few years.
rolleyes.gif

My opinion about the LDII+ is that it's a wonderful amp... when it works.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 27
3 things prevent me from really wanting the II+. First the fore-mentioned durability of the circuit. I generally am BRUTAL on tube amps, turning them on for 30-60 minutes and turning them off. Tube amps dont like on-off-on cycles, and doing so greatly shortens tube life-span. Second thing, is I don't trust US customs on over-seas shipments. Thirdly, returning the amp for service seems sketchy (maybe I am wrong).

For me... and my listening habits an EC-ss would be a better option. Or if I do decide to go with tubes, a domestic maker would be worth the extra $$.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 things prevent me from really wanting the II+. First the fore-mentioned durability of the circuit. I generally am BRUTAL on tube amps, turning them on for 30-60 minutes and turning them off. Tube amps dont like on-off-on cycles, and doing so greatly shortens tube life-span. Second thing, is I don't trust US customs on over-seas shipments. Thirdly, returning the amp for service seems sketchy (maybe I am wrong).

For me... and my listening habits an EC-ss would be a better option. Or if I do decide to go with tubes, a domestic maker would be worth the extra $$.

LD offers exceptional overseas service as they are willing to do cross-shipping, send you a new one then get the bad one back.

Dec 19, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LD offers exceptional overseas service as they are willing to do cross-shipping, send you a new one then get the bad one back.

Dont get me wrong... its a STEAL of an amp at that price, and No doubt David offers exceptional service. No problems there at all.

Its US CUSTOMS that I dont trust.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept of Alchemy
I have had my LDII+ for four months under heavy use (~5 hours a day) and have not had a tube failure yet. Actually, I have not seen reports of tube failure from anyone on this forum... and many have had the amp for longer than myself. No offense to penguindude, but the 1000 hours he quoted was really arbitrary (although reasonable in light of the arching problem!), IMHO I think it's more rigorous to say that at this point we just don't know. LD claims that the power tubes should last 3000~5000 hours, we'll see about that in a few years.

My opinion about the LDII+ is that it's a wonderful amp... when it works.

Do all of the LD2+ amps have the arcing problem? I've been watching the boards closely to figure out whether the issue with the LD2+ is really all that serious. I've seen people have headphones damaged by them, but that could happen with any amp (especially any amp with tubes).

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont get me wrong... its a STEAL of an amp at that price, and No doubt David offers exceptional service. No problems there at all.

Its US CUSTOMS that I dont trust.

When you buy from the U.S. eBay sellers does the amp ship straight from China? If the amp goes through the U.S. distributor first then you wouldn't have to worry about customs recking your amp.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 27
I just resold my amplifier to another member, and will be shipping it out soon. It does have a pop at start up, but waiting about 1 minute and then plugging in works just as well. It's a great amplifier, especially for the second hand price. That, and you get whatever's left of the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back