Little Dot II vs Little Dot Micro +
May 11, 2006 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mudihan

100+ Head-Fier
Did anyone compared these two?

May 11, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 15
Not sure why you'd want them compared, one is a tube amp and the other a portable solid-state. Unfair comparison for either one. They're both great starter amps for tubes and solid-state though.

May 11, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 15
I ask my friend, who is going back to China this summer, to bring me back a little dot. In China, the price difference between a LD2 and a Micro+ is only about $10. So basically they are at the same price level. Thanks!

May 11, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 15
Well if I were in your shoes, I'd get the LDM+ (or both, if you can afford it). It's a killer <$100 solid-state amp that's very neutral and very extended as well.

The LD2 has a history of quality control problems. I was tempted to get one myself at one point in time but the horror stories of its quality control scared me off. If you can get it under $100 though, it might be worth risking, as that would make it the cheapest tube amp ever.

May 11, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 15
From what I heard (not just on this board), the quality issue with LD2 has been solved. Thanks

May 12, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 15
I've had my LD2 for awhile now with no problems at all. I absolutely love the sound, especially with my Telefunken tubes. Why not get both?

May 12, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 15
I'll second the LD2 love. I just got mine and it's a fantastic little amp. I'm using it with a pair of Grado 325i's and love the match. I was worried about noise floor with the grados but it's silent until I start pushing 11:00 on the volume, which would be insanely loud if there was music playing.

Talking with the designer before I bought it all the quality control issues have been solved, there were two revisions to the design and he said there hasn't been any problems with the current one. He is very accomodating to any problems (Everybody who had QC issues got a new amp. I had some shipping troubles and he sent out a new one even before it was confirmed lost by the courier). I wouldn't worry about getting shafted.

May 12, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 15
Just got my LD2 in this week. Fantastic sound for the price, great build quality and no QC issues at all. My only gripes are as follows:

It runs very hot (no ventilation in the chassis)
The tubes that come with it are extremely microphonic. This is easily fixed with a different set of compatible tubes (See other related posts for details).

Furthermore, the folks selling these little amps are extremely friendly and helpful, ship VERY fast, and the simple packaging they (now) use is effective. Mine came in without so much as a scratch.

May 12, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 15
another happy little dot 2 user here. Ive got the old one though (right before the batch of faulty ones) and still going strong. However im starting to hear a little static in the right channel
frown.gif

May 12, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 15
I made a sticker for mine and put it on the front: "TRANSISTORS ARE CAPITALIST DECADENCE"
biggrin.gif

The only thing I'm not satisfied with are the blue leds under the tubes. I think I'll remove them or block them with something.

May 12, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 15
Where do you guys order these amps from?

May 13, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 15
www.little-tube.com

Excellent service, Ninja. I'm not sure, but they seem to sell exclusively on eBay. I got mine for $100 US plus $35 US shipping to Canada. I've heard they raised their prices, but I can't confirm. For the price, it's definitely an excellent introduction to tubes.

The down side is, now I know I like tubes, which means an upgrade is on it's way. Curse you Head-Fi! Sorry about my wallet indeed!

Oh, and by the way, I notice you popped the 701 avatar back in... this little amp ROCKS the K701!

May 13, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 15
Thanks. I was worried about the noise too, but now it does not seem to be a problem.

Redleader, what's the model of your Telefunken tubes and where did you get them?

Thanks!

May 13, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
www.little-tube.com

Excellent service, Ninja. I'm not sure, but they seem to sell exclusively on eBay. I got mine for $100 US plus $35 US shipping to Canada. I've heard they raised their prices, but I can't confirm. For the price, it's definitely an excellent introduction to tubes.

The down side is, now I know I like tubes, which means an upgrade is on it's way. Curse you Head-Fi! Sorry about my wallet indeed!

Oh, and by the way, I notice you popped the 701 avatar back in... this little amp ROCKS the K701!

I may have to try this amp out.
Someone commented on that avatar being funny so I put it back up. Gotta love the K701s.

Thanks for the sites people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back