little dot II vs. Little dot III
Jun 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

glow

New Head-Fier
hi guys/girls(but i guess there arent so many :p) its my first post here
biggrin.gif

i found the little dot amps a few hours ago on the internet and I am totally fastinated by them
biggrin.gif
I always thought this kind of amps is "unpayable".

I´ve got a question about these two modells.

What are the main differences between the little dot II and III?
and, is the III worth the more money?

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 17
Welcome to head-fi!

General concensus: MKIII is the best bang for buck. MKII is a good second for if you want to spend a little less. If you can, go with the MKIII.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 17
thanks for your help.

thx for the little dot comparison didnt found that thread
wink.gif

the only thing i dislike on the little dot III is the silver frontplate...but i guess i cant have all my wishes fullfilled
tongue.gif

after opening this thread yesterday i found the darkvoice amps. the design looks wayyyyyy cooler
- completely painted in black
- this cool on and off switch, that everyone likes to switch
biggrin.gif

but the 332 is to expensive for my taste and the 336 has only two tubes (looks abit unspectacular for me
smily_headphones1.gif
) and also costs ~100€ more than the little dot III

I think i'll go with the little dot III then

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Don't be fooled by the appearance of the 336. It's a good amp. Many people who have heard both the mkiii and the 336 prefer the 336. Some do still prefer the mkiii though. The 336 does have better tube rolling options. IMO either would be good choices.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 17
@moodyrn
i dont wanted to say which one is better by watching on the design
wink.gif

if it sounded like that sry.

Quote:

The 336 does have better tube rolling options.

i dont know if i will do that.
wink.gif

but, i read that there are a lot alternative tubes for the ld III, too but also that the real good stuff is only available for the dv.

other question why is that so? whats the difference between these two tube types?

Quote:

IMO either would be good choices.

thats the problem ^^

gruß

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 17
There are some alternatives with the mkiii there's just more with the 336. There are just more variants with the 336. But if tube rolling isn't important the mkiii may be a better choice because it is cheaper. Little dot does have very good customer service as well.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 17
Tons of different driver tubes available for LDII and LDIII - EF95, EF92, and EF91 varients. So theres no problems tube rolling. The power tube type you are limited but they don't make a huge difference in sound anyway.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #12 of 17
thx for the link
the best design (in my pricerange) has imo the 336se (the redesigned version) but its only available in silver
> so its out.
but on the other hand it may look pretty cool, if the silver case reflects the tubes glow.... difficult difficult
biggrin.gif

the figaro also looks quite nice, but i wanna see the tubes
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the EF1 fit in with the MKIII, 336, etc?

IMO, the EF1 is in a different league than the MKIII. I've never heard any Darkvoice so I wouldn't comment on it.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 17
@mmonboy403

its just my amateur opinion.

but imo a integrated amp can easily be better than a tube amp...if its measurable by the ear... i doubt it.

but integrated circuits are much more precise than tubes... have also much better production tolerances and so on..
the outcome is much more predictable as it is with tube amps.

imo its pretty much the same thing as it is with mechanical and quarz watches
wink.gif

imo its a cool idea to mix both ics and tubes...you get the nice tube and the almost perfect linear amplification of modern ics.

but this text on the window is ugly³
confused_face_2.gif

sorry for my english...why the heck is understanding so screw*** easy and writing so hard
angry_face.gif

ps.
found out that the dv 336se is available in black to
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back