Little Dot II++ Disappointment?
Dec 6, 2006 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

rc_drifter

New Head-Fier
I have just made the jump to my first Headphone amp & i am a little disappointed. I dont know wether its because the amp has not had enough 'Burn' in( about 24 hours )? My problem is I like my music quite loud & I am getting what seems to be alot of distortion from my setup
frown.gif

To get my required listening volume I want I am having to turn the volume up to around the 2 oclock position.But thats just about where the distortion starts to kick in.Anything under the 2 oclock position isn't loud enough for me! (I know its not good to listen to it loud but i like it & im prepared to suffer for it.) I am a HUGE home cinema freak & have spent thousands of ££££ to get my setup.Plus I am a HUGE car audio freak & have spent too much on this also. These amps & speakers dont distort this way so I cant seem to figure this one out.

I am listening to Flac/Lossless (mainly pop & R&B) from my Ipod Video 5g through a Apple Stereo Connection kit. Via the Line out.

http://shop.indiainfo.com/product.php?attributeid=43077

I have tryed the amp connected to my DVD player listening via CD but the distortion is still there.

I am using RockBox (I have also tryed apple firmware to see if it alters)on the Ipod. The phones I am using are the Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 80 ohms.

Do you guys think I have just bought the wrong amp for my listening preferences? Maybe a change to the Hornet (staying off the tubes)may cure it?

Please help....

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 42
What headphones are you using? I might have a lemon, an amp that has a bad capacitor, who knows but it doesn't sound like the amp is doing what it should and could be defective.

Sometimes tubes aren't the way to go. I am a tube person but I also like solid-state and I admit that it can be a lot less of a problem unless you have a well made piece of equipment.

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 42
maybe that monster car stereo has deafened you? only kidding!
I am using the LD2++ with the Sen 650's and have the volume at no more than 11 O'Clock as any higher is TOO loud for me! I have tried it at the 3 O'Clock postion and it's unbearably loud..but wanted to find the breaking point as it were. With the 80ohm phones you are using you should be getting more volume than my 650's at the same volume setting, yet I have no distortion until it's way way loud..strange..
confused.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 42
I dont think I have a Lemon... The amp quality sounds nice when the volume is lower. Just not loud enough for me
smily_headphones1.gif

The headphones I am using are Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm.

Rain_UK. My volume settings are nowhere near yours. Mine set at the 11 oclock position is very low. Normal listening volume on my amp would be around 12oclock & between 2-3 oclock for loud.The volume on mine gets unbearable around the 4 oclock position, but the distortion started at around the 2 oclock position.

Maybe I just have the wrong combination of phones & amp? Or not to my volume requirements. I might try going for the Hornet instead.

I may have the first LDII++ on the FOR SALE section
blink.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 42
The source in his case isn't the problem, although the amount of gain difference in terms of the position of the vol. pot. is directly related to the output from the line out of the source. Also the sensitivity of the cans vs. others, may call for more to the right position. AND HE LIKES IT LOUD! (
icon10.gif
)

But seriously, first a change out the tubes is in order if they can be sourced reasonably in terms of cost and time. However, a well implemented tube amp design with good parts and tubes should not distort, be fuzzy or have background noise @ 2 o'clock with headphones.

With no music playing but connected at 12 - 2 o'clock does the noise begin and get louder thru the phones?

Could you describe in detail the sound it is making "sizzling" hum or unfocused music sounding fuzzy?

Could be damaged in shipment, of course...

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 42
Which tubes did yours come with? Mine has the Ediswan at present, I have the Mullards on the way to see what difference there will be..but others say that the Mullards are thinner sounding if I remember correctly..you havn't connected the rca to the pre amp by accident?

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 42
Thanks for the help so far guys...

For me to try & explain this to you I have to go into Car audio terms... please bare with me....
smily_headphones1.gif

1. the speakers need higher wattage ratings to take the output from the amp.

2.To hear this kind of distortion from car audio its usually down to an inadequate quality amp & I have to turn down the gain level on the amp(but then it is quieter) so I usually go for a higher wattage output amp to make up for the level.

The amp came with Ediswan tubes & the amp has an orange LED. I dont like the idea of experimenting with different tubes $$$$$$$$.

I wonder if its actually the Beyers that cant take the wattage? I wonder if the Senn 650's would take it better? Is there such a thing as wattage ratings on headphones as there is in speakers. hhmmmmm.....

Do you think that I would solve my problem by getting the Hornet (maybe a lower wattage output) or would I be wasting money?

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Distortion? There must be something wrong here. Have you tried the caps-on and caps-off thing to switch between the high and low impedance modes?

Yes tried that ,but alas.... same.

Dont get me wrong here people... there isnt distortion all the way through the volume range, its just when you krank it up to loud settings..under low to medium volume it sounds nice. I'm thinking it just doesnt like the beyers.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 42
Yeah, I'd say its the amp. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just doesn't have the power to drive at volume. I have a LD2+ and with my 701's it would clip when it got loud, and sometimes you want it loud damnit! Enter the X-Can, drops 1W of power, problem solved.

cool.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 42
Which X-Cans do you mean? the standard X-Can has a max power of 100mW into 40ohm (spec), the LD2++ has a max power of 300mW into 300ohm..

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_uk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which X-Cans do you mean? the standard X-Can has a max power of 100mW into 40ohm (spec), the LD2++ has a max power of 300mW into 300ohm..

it is 1000mw

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rc_drifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just made the jump to my first Headphone amp & i am a little disappointed. I dont know wether its because the amp has not had enough 'Burn' in( about 24 hours )? My problem is I like my music quite loud & I am getting what seems to be alot of distortion from my setup
frown.gif

To get my required listening volume I want I am having to turn the volume up to around the 2 oclock position.But thats just about where the distortion starts to kick in.Anything under the 2 oclock position isn't loud enough for me! (I know its not good to listen to it loud but i like it & [size=large]im prepared to suffer for it[/size].) I am a HUGE home cinema freak & have spent thousands of ££££ to get my setup.Plus I am a HUGE car audio freak & have spent too much on this also. These amps & speakers dont distort this way so I cant seem to figure this one out.

I am listening to Flac/Lossless (mainly pop & R&B) from my Ipod Video 5g through a Apple Stereo Connection kit. Via the Line out.

http://shop.indiainfo.com/product.php?attributeid=43077

I have tryed the amp connected to my DVD player listening via CD but the distortion is still there.

I am using RockBox (I have also tryed apple firmware to see if it alters)on the Ipod. The phones I am using are the Beyerdynamics DT770 pro 80 ohms.

Do you guys think I have just bought the wrong amp for my listening preferences? Maybe a change to the Hornet (staying off the tubes)may cure it?

Please help....

You'll look back at this in 30 years time and say - "speak up please, I can't hear for this ringing in my ears !!"

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is 1000mw

? What is...The Original xCan isnt according to their site? Im confused..
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back