Little Dot II++ as preamp vs Aric Audio Stereo Tube Preamp 2.5?
Apr 12, 2009 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TubeStack

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know anything about the tech side of tubes. I just know that I love the sound of them.

I've been experimenting with using my Little Dot II++ as a preamp, running it into my integrated receiver's 'main amp in' jacks, and I absolutely LOVE the sound of it.

However, it's a pain to lug the thing from my bedroom to the living room and back, every morning and night.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, I've been looking at an Aric Audio Stereo Tube Preamp 2.5 to use with the living room stereo receiver, so I can leave the Little Dot by the bed.

I'm just concerned that the Aric Audio 2.5 preamp may not sound as good as the Little Dot does when used as a preamp? (Hopefully it might even sound better?)

Is it possible to make some sort of prediction based on knowledge of the tube types and general construction of each unit?

The Little Dot II++ is using two Mullard M8161s for the driver tubes and two Ulyanov 6S19P-Bs for the power tubes.

The Aric Audio 2.5 unit uses two 12au7 tubes (don't know what type), one for each channel.

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't know if it helps but I used to own the Aric 1.5 tube pre, and I was not too impressed with it. The build quality was poor and the sound was compressed and lacked air and the bass was weak too. It did have a hint of tube warmth but the sound was just compressed and the soundstage so small it was just not good. It does have a high output impedance (10KOhm) so maybe there was an impedance mismatch with my amp. I would suggest spending more on a bottlehead foreplay or AES AE-3 or search audiogon for a cheap SS preamp under $200.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, vrao81. That's kind of the feeling I've been getting about the Aric gear, as I look around. Have read a few comments similar to yours, though I did find some very positive remarks, too.

I've ended up buying a Little Dot MK III (on its way now), to replace the Little Dot II++ at its bedside post. I only hope it can match/exceed the sound I'm getting right now out of this II++... man, do I love it.

If the MK III doesn't match the II++.... guess I'll be stuck dragging the II++ around the house every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back