Little Dot I+
Mar 20, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by valtopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there all from china?

Made in China, shipped from China. No U.S. middle man = better benefit per dollar.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoblime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy a used one already in the USA???

You could. Though if his shipping experience will be anything like mine, it's not worth it. Took them a week to build and test the amp, but only two days to ship. Two days from China. I mean, I've had faster shipments, but they were all CONUS. Halfway around the world in under 48 hours is nice. The package was wrapped up in half a pound of tape too, and the tubes were buried in styrofoam several inches deep that took longer to cut through than it took to put them in the amp.

Also, free 1/8-to-RCA cable and 1/8-to-1/4 adapter, but that shouldn't be necessary for a typical audiophile
icon10.gif

If the problem is you don't trust Little Dot, you should. If the problem is you don't trust DHL to ship it, from my experience you should. If the problem is you wanna buy brick-and-mortar, you're out of luck. Used is always a good option around here if you can find one. But don't be afraid of a new one.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 13
I ordered mine last week from Little Dot directly, they said it would be at least 9 business days before mine is scheduled to be built... I guess there is quite a backlog at the moment. I'm willing to wait if its as good as everyone has said.

@Head Injury: how has your experience been with the uDac and the LD I+? This is the same config I'll be using. Are you able to run the volume on the uDac at 100%? Thx

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine last week from Little Dot directly, they said it would be at least 9 business days before mine is scheduled to be built... I guess there is quite a backlog at the moment. I'm willing to wait if its as good as everyone has said.

@Head Injury: how has your experience been with the uDac and the LD I+? This is the same config I'll be using. Are you able to run the volume on the uDac at 100%? Thx

I've only been using it for a few hours so far, and haven't yet compared it to unamped (won't be able to using HF2 because I don't have a 1/4-to-1/8 adapter around). Tomorrow I'll throw the KSC75 in amped and unamped to try it out. I love the uDAC, have been using it for a few weeks now.

I can easily max the uDAC volume. I listen quiet, and right now I have it at about 80% with the LD I+ at 5%
biggrin.gif
. I'll probably crank it up to 10% or the uDAC up to 100% when I get a chance to set everything in my dorm room. Don't set the uDAC volume low and LD volume high. That gave me crazy static. Hope it's not a problem with the amp, because I was fine at 9 o'clock on the uDAC unamped. I'll never go that high, but...

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 13
thanks guys for all the info. didnt know if i should trust it shipped form china.
im going to use this with my pc and sennsheiser hd555. should i get a sound card because im using the built in sound on the mother board.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by valtopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys for all the info. didnt know if i should trust it shipped form china.
im going to use this with my pc and sennsheiser hd555. should i get a sound card because im using the built in sound on the mother board.

Oh god yes. Either an external DAC or a sound card. Really no point amping a phone like the HD555 (which does good without an amp, right?) unless you have a good DAC already. Onboard is not a good DAC.

My hierarchy, which remains until I can prove it otherwise with comparisons later:

Easily-driven Phone: DAC>Amp
Picky Phone: Amp>DAC

If you're going for purely sound quality, get a DAC. The cheap uDAC is great to my ears. Nice subtle improvement over my old soundcard, great improvement over laptop's onboard (which didn't sound bad, just noisy). If you're into gaming, you'll probably want a soundcard with some kind of surround simulator. Ask elsewhere for a good one, I've only had the decent XtremeGamer from Creative.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 13
Also check the FS/FT forums. They happen to turn up there quite frequently at a decent price.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I sent my order in 5 days ago and got an update from him today saying their are 14 orders ahead of me and they do 1-3 a day depending on what it is they are building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back