Little Dot I+ Questions
Mar 7, 2009 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MetalGeek

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my new SR-325is today, and they sound so good that I've been thinking that they deserve a new amp as well! I've heard that the Little Dot I+ is highly recommended for Grados, and it won't break the bank either. I'm also contemplating getting a new DAC for it as well.

With three different versions of the I+, I'm having difficulty deciding which one to get. Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations on the different versions, or a comparison between the three? I know that the only real difference between them is the included set of tubes, but it would be most convenient to start out with the tubes that I think would fit my needs best.

Mostly I'll be using the amp with my computer, so I'm going to want to use a DAC. I currently have an iBasso D2-Viper, but I'm thinking it would better to purchase a separate DAC for it. I don't have optical out, so it would have to be USB. I had been thinking about getting the D3, which can be used as a standalone DAC so that I don't add any unnecessary amplification to the system, but is there a better option out there that isn't quite as pricey?

By the way, even though I already had the SR-225, the SR-325is were totally worth it!
dt880smile.png

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 20
You should get the lowest version of them, and then buy tubes by your own, you will save more money that way. Unless the price difference doesn't bother you, that is the best option.

BTW, I recently saw another guy selling the LD I+, you should buy them from davidzhezhe.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should get the lowest version of them, and then buy tubes by your own, you will save more money that way. Unless the price difference doesn't bother you, that is the best option.

BTW, I recently saw another guy selling the LD I+, you should buy them from davidzhezhe.

I guess what I'm looking for is the right combination of tubes to start out with. Normally I'd be willing to fiddle with it and tinker until I got the right sound, but I don't really feel like putting the effort into researching all of the tubes available and testing them out to find the ones I like best. I just want it to sound right with as little effort as possible. In the long run, I'd probably save money because I'd most likely end up buying a ton of tubes that I wouldn't end up using.

If there isn't much of a difference in sound between the lowest and highest version, then I'll probably stick with the lowest to save a few bucks. However, if the sound difference seems worth the extra money to me, I'll go for the highest version.

So basically, I'm looking to find out which set of tubes (ignoring price differences) are generally going to sound the best with a pair of SR-325is.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 20
In email with David I having the same idea, he suggested the middle grade tubes. I think the stock low end tubes just aren't worth having. Thus the mid-grade is your best bang-for-buck as the higher-end option tubes you can get for less on ebay.

But ideally, you would try to get it with no tubes and then pick up some mullards or 408as. Can't speak to your grados, but there is an excellent thread on this by hottyson, at least for the 225s.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In email with David I having the same idea, he suggested the middle grade tubes. I think the stock low end tubes just aren't worth having. Thus the mid-grade is your best bang-for-buck as the higher-end option tubes you can get for less on ebay.

But ideally, you would try to get it with no tubes and then pick up some mullards or 408as. Can't speak to your grados, but there is an excellent thread on this by hottyson, at least for the 225s.

Thanks for info, I think that sounds like a good plan. I'll probably pick up the middle grade version, and then maybe buy the 408A separately. That gives me a couple options for about the same price as the one that comes stock with the 408A tubes.

Does anybody have any USB DAC suggestions to go with this amp? I'll go do some reading on this elsewhere, but I'm wondering what other people with more experience have to say about it.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 20
I have the 6J1 tubes and sound pretty good to me. Do not have any other tube around to test them, but I hear no distortion nor loss.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 20
OK, I just purchased the one with the EF92 tube, as well as a matched set of Western Electric 408A tubes.

Still looking for recommendations for a proper USB DAC setup for it...anybody have input on that one?

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 20
Hey MetalGeek,

I have the same set up as you. I woodied my 325i, got the I+ and bought a pair of matched WE408A, and lastly got the Keces 151 MKII and they sound really awesome! I think the DAC was a bigger step up than the amp. However, I am still listening to the original tubes. I will change the op amp for my I+ this weekend. Will report back the difference. But please do check out the Keces 151MKII as it sounds really really sweet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey MetalGeek,

I have the same set up as you. I woodied my 325i, got the I+ and bought a pair of matched WE408A, and lastly got the Keces 151 MKII and they sound really awesome! I think the DAC was a bigger step up than the amp. However, I am still listening to the original tubes. I will change the op amp for my I+ this weekend. Will report back the difference. But please do check out the Keces 151MKII as it sounds really really sweet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Is $300 accurate for the Keces DAC? That's a bit out of my price range.

I found this Review, but if you have links to any more reviews or information, I'd like to see it!

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 20
I think you can get it for about $240. I am not that good at giving detail reviews. But what I can say is that it's got more detail. Higher resolution! everything instantly becomes clearer on my SR325i. The bass got tighter,.. more presence, but not overpowering.... instrument separation is good, and the sound stage also becomes a bit better. I hope you can check it out,... at least research the resale value and you can decide if it's worth the risk. cheers~

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 20
My LDI+ came today, and I can't believe how amazing this little amp sounds with my SR325is. It's a fairly impressive improvement over my D2-Viper, which I'm actually using as the DAC for this setup until my KECES DA-151 Mk2 arrives.

I went to Newark and ordered a pair of LT1364 opamps (one as a spare, just in case), but shortly afterward realized that one of the stock opamps in my D2-Viper was a LT1364! So now I've got 3 of them...D'OH!

I first listened to the EF92 tubes that came stock, then I switched the setup to the WE408A tubes. The WE408A win hands-down against the EF92...they present much more detail and at least seem to provide a stronger slam. Next, I swapped the stock opamp out of the LDI+ and added the LT1364, and I'm currently listening to this setup. All in all, this thing sounds pretty darn good. There's so much more impact in this amp than in my Viper, and I'm noticing so many details that I had never heard before. There have been several moments where I immediately stopped everything I was doing just to close my eyes and listen. It's a feeling I haven't experienced since the first time I listened to my HD595 through the Viper...a setup that I now feel is very lackluster and boring.

This rig is going to sound absolutely phenomenal once the new KECES 151 gets here! My upgraditis should be cured for at least a few months once it arrives.

...I hope...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 20
I've caught the bug...

I found a pair of Mullard M8083 (CV4014 Mil. Spec.) from Yen Audio and had to get 'em.

Will it ever end, Head-Fi? WILL IT EVER END?!

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Sounds good. I've been debating whether or not to get an I+ for my 325i (should be very similar to 325is). I'm using my iBasso D10 as a DAC/amp right now and was wondering if a hybrid amp like the I+ would be a noticeable upgrade. From your post, it sounds like it was. Was it? I'll probably go with WE408A tubes if I do buy it, unless you find something better paired with your 325is.
wink.gif
I probably won't be able to afford it until summer, but it's nice to know your situation is somewhat similar.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by yukihiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good. I've been debating whether or not to get an I+ for my 325i (should be very similar to 325is). I'm using my iBasso D10 as a DAC/amp right now and was wondering if a hybrid amp like the I+ would be a noticeable upgrade. From your post, it sounds like it was. Was it? I'll probably go with WE408A tubes if I do buy it, unless you find something better paired with your 325is.
wink.gif
I probably won't be able to afford it until summer, but it's nice to know your situation is somewhat similar.

The LDI+ is a nice improvement over my D2-Viper. It provides an extra kick for drums over the lower current portable amp, and it's got such a smooth sound, at least with the WE408A tubes. There's quite a bit more detail as well. I wasn't quite as impressed by the stock EF92 tubes, but they weren't horrible by any stretch of the imagination. I have to admit that I didn't listen to them for very long, and probably didn't give them sufficient burn-in time to make an accurate judgment.

My Viper also worked quite nicely as a DAC for the LDI+ until I hooked up my new KECES DA-151 Mk2 today. I've got a pretty sweet system now!

As I mentioned before, I have a set of Mullards on the way. I'll most likely post my impressions if anybody is interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back