little dot build quality issues
Mar 9, 2007 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm looking at the little dot micro amp, b ut from various sources i'm hearing alot of critizism over build quality.

can any owners shed some light please?

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 8
Mine just showed up in the mail yesterday.. I have mixed feelings about it. The screws on the back side of my unit for what ever reason popped out. I spent over an hour trying to get them back in there. There isnt a "round" hole or thread for the screw to go in.. just the 2 corners that were sorta threaded. I talked to David who suggested trying to put them in at an angle.. which sorta works.. but man.. is this a pain. I still cant get two of them back in there.

As for the rest of it.. well.. Im not sure if there is something wrong with my unit or not.. but for me.. I have to turn my Zune up to its max volume, then the amp nearly to the max volume for it to be acceptable for me. Is this normal for others?

Other than the screw issue the thing is very solid.

This is my first amp so I dont know what I can compare it too. But I do know the friggen headfi curse has started to set in.. im already feeling the need for a dedicated amp for my pc now
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I've had my LDM+ for over 2 months now and it's solid as a house. The only thing that bothers me is the bad quality jacks used. The make the Neutrik plug in my interconnect loose connection when I walk so I always have to keep the thing in my hands. Also the hiss level is quite high. I'm looking to upgrade.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 8
i know it doesn't cost that much, but i'd like to own one, but not if it's broken.

sounds like the sound quality is not that good either, would that be a fair statement?

Mar 12, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Well it sounds ok to me.. but again I dont really have anything to compare it to.

I guess ill find out at some point when I get a better one for home use
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I have a hard time recommending Little Dot II xxx amps to anyone due to these quality control issues. The price is right, and the sound is good for the price, but it's not a bargain if it's breaking down all of the time. People are concerned about their cans getting blown, tubes are arcing, resistors are burning, the amp can heat a 10 x 12 room, etc., etc. You may want to save up a bit more for something like a Yarland or a used X-Can, or even that Doge amp.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back