Little Dot 2+ w/ Senheiser HD595
Jul 26, 2006 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

porschemad911

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been browsing these forums for quite a while now, and my head-fi transition has gone a little like this:

Creative Nomad II + Koss KSC-55 --> Chaintech AV-710 + CMOY + Sennheiser HD497 --> Denon DCD-615 + Harman / Kardon HK3480 + Sennheiser HD595

I've only picked up the CD player recently, before that I was listening through onboard audio, having ebayed the AV-710.

Not being happy with the sound, I thought the source improvement might fix it, but it still sounds a bit thin, harsh and grainy. The sound gets worse as the volume increases, so that made me think my receiver isn't driving my headphones properly.

I read through lots of posts on HD595 amplification over the last week or so, but ended up almost more confused than when I began!

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and at around 10:30 last night ordered a Little Dot 2+ from eBay.

I haven't found much info on how well it matches with the HD595, but I like a musical sound, and figure the smooth treble, rich midrange and full bass that I've read about should pair up well with the fairly neutral, slightly lean tone of the HD595.

Seeing as no one else has really posted much on this pairing (that I could find), for the benefit of all, I thought I'd post my impressions when the amp arrives, just in case there's others confusedly searching as I was!

Jul 26, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911
Hi all,

I've been browsing these forums for quite a while now, and my head-fi transition has gone a little like this:

Creative Nomad II + Koss KSC-55 --> Chaintech AV-710 + CMOY + Sennheiser HD497 --> Denon DCD-615 + Harman / Kardon HK3480 + Sennheiser HD595

I've only picked up the CD player recently, before that I was listening through onboard audio, having ebayed the AV-710.

Not being happy with the sound, I thought the source improvement might fix it, but it still sounds a bit thin, harsh and grainy. The sound gets worse as the volume increases, so that made me think my receiver isn't driving my headphones properly.

I read through lots of posts on HD595 amplification over the last week or so, but ended up almost more confused than when I began!

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and at around 10:30 last night ordered a Little Dot 2+ from eBay.

I haven't found much info on how well it matches with the HD595, but I like a musical sound, and figure the smooth treble, rich midrange and full bass that I've read about should pair up well with the fairly neutral, slightly lean tone of the HD595.

Seeing as no one else has really posted much on this pairing (that I could find), for the benefit of all, I thought I'd post my impressions when the amp arrives, just in case there's others confusedly searching as I was!

i think you will be happy with the LD2+

Aug 4, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, my Little Dot II+ arrived from China, very nicely packed!

Quite an intriguing looking little amp. Here's a (large) pic.

So how's it sound? In a couple of words, very nice! Take my impressions with a grain of salt though, I don't pretend to be a seasoned audiophile.

I've given the LD2+ a quick run through with some pop, rock, blues, classical, and Sons of Korah, which IMO really need a genre of their own.

Soundstage
It's easy to notice the extra power over my receiver, the music stays much more composed when there's a lot going on, and the soundstage just seems a lot more 'solid' than before. With my receiver you can tell there was a soundstage, you just had to concentrate a little. With the LD2+, it's just, well, there, with no effort! Just great! Imaging is improved along with the soundstage. The soundstage compresses with my receiver as volume increases, but seems to open up with the LD2+.

Bass
My receiver has more bass, but it felt a little fuzzy. Perhaps grainy is the right word. On some tracks it almost overpowers the rest of the music. In contrast, with the LD2+, bass is clean and tight, just how I like it. There are probably 'phones that hit a lot harder, but I'm very happy with my HD595. Impact's pretty good.

Mids
With the LD2+, mids have a lot more body and smoothness, and they keep it, even when the volume and complexity increase. The detail's improved too, vocals are just lovely! The midrange tone is much more natural with the LD2+, and I get the impression I'm peering deeper into the recording, almost like a pair of french doors has been flung wide open.

Highs
With the LD2+, cymbals are much more clearly defined, and orchestral music featuring high string notes sounds wonderful!

Dynamics
Well, I've saved the best points for last. If the source material contains lots of crescendos and dynamic contrasts, the LD2+ is vastly improved over my receiver. It feels effortless, and drums have much better impact.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm using a pretty entry level CD player (bought cheap on eBay in mint condition) and very cheap interconnects (which I'll probably upgrade at some stage), but I get the feeling that I've hit my point of very diminishing returns. I wonder if burn in will make a noticeable difference? If it doesn't, I won't be complaining a bit.

Now to try out Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and then a little Eric Bibb...

On another note, what on earth will I do with my HK receiver now? I don't really want to get rid of it, in case one day I get some speakers (and it cranks out plenty of power, 2 x 120 W RMS @ 8 ohms). It seems a shame to just leave it lying around; I was only using it as a headphone amp (living in a shared house you see). Perhaps I'll eBay it...

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911
Well, my Little Dot II+ arrived from China, very nicely packed!

Quite an intriguing looking little amp. Here's a (large) pic.

So how's it sound? In a couple of words, very nice! Take my impressions with a grain of salt though, I don't pretend to be a seasoned audiophile.

I've given the LD2+ a quick run through with some pop, rock, blues, classical, and Sons of Korah, which IMO really need a genre of their own.

Soundstage
It's easy to notice the extra power over my receiver, the music stays much more composed when there's a lot going on, and the soundstage just seems a lot more 'solid' than before. With my receiver you can tell there was a soundstage, you just had to concentrate a little. With the LD2+, it's just, well, there, with no effort! Just great! Imaging is improved along with the soundstage. The soundstage compresses with my receiver as volume increases, but seems to open up with the LD2+.

Bass
My receiver has more bass, but it felt a little fuzzy. Perhaps grainy is the right word. On some tracks it almost overpowers the rest of the music. In contrast, with the LD2+, bass is clean and tight, just how I like it. There are probably 'phones that hit a lot harder, but I'm very happy with my HD595. Impact's pretty good.

Mids
With the LD2+, mids have a lot more body and smoothness, and they keep it, even when the volume and complexity increase. The detail's improved too, vocals are just lovely! The midrange tone is much more natural with the LD2+, and I get the impression I'm peering deeper into the recording, almost like a pair of french doors has been flung wide open.

Highs
With the LD2+, cymbals are much more clearly defined, and orchestral music featuring high string notes sounds wonderful!

Dynamics
Well, I've saved the best points for last. If the source material contains lots of crescendos and dynamic contrasts, the LD2+ is vastly improved over my receiver. It feels effortless, and drums have much better impact.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm using a pretty entry level CD player (bought cheap on eBay in mint condition) and very cheap interconnects (which I'll probably upgrade at some stage), but I get the feeling that I've hit my point of very diminishing returns. I wonder if burn in will make a noticeable difference? If it doesn't, I won't be complaining a bit.

Now to try out Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and then a little Eric Bibb...

On another note, what on earth will I do with my HK receiver now? I don't really want to get rid of it, in case one day I get some speakers (and it cranks out plenty of power, 2 x 120 W RMS @ 8 ohms). It seems a shame to just leave it lying around; I was only using it as a headphone amp (living in a shared house you see). Perhaps I'll eBay it...

Nice, any more impressions since getting it? I'm looking to get one as well. How was your customer service while buying it?

Aug 13, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 8
Hi all, just thought I'd post some further impressions.

My LD2+'s going very nicely, despite one small scare. After moving and then replace the amp to rearrange furniture and pack up my receiver ready for eBay, a quiet, scratchy, low pitched hiss in the left channel only, independent of my source. It also was independent of the amp's volume, ie turning the volume all the way up or down didn't change the hiss at all. There was also a loudish pop coming out of the headphones when turning the amp on and off, the volume of which, again, was independent of the volume control position on the amp.

I had my CD player plugged into the first outlet, and my amp into the second outlet of a four outlet powerboard. Upon moving the amp to the third outlet, all problems disappeared.

Aaaaaah. (That was a sigh of relief, by the way).

The amp is slightly microphonic, but only for about the first 20 seconds after powerup, during which time you get quite a lovely church bell effect through the headphones.

The sound is quite forward with my 595, but I've never found it unpleasant or harsh yet. Vocals are certainly pushed to the fore of the performance, which I quite like. They seem to have plenty of body though.

Bass is slightly lean, but goes quite low. I've heard these are traits of the 595, and I quite like the sound.

I am really enjoying the extra detail. Everything is wonderfully precise. Notes are clearly outlined, and I think the tone is very natural. Pianos for example, sound lovely.

I'm finding this combination to be quite sensitive to the quality of the recording.

There's plenty of power. The loudest I've had the volume up to is ~ 8 o'clock and that was plenty loud for me!

I'm now toying with the idea of buying another, slightly more laid back pair of headphones. Perhaps a Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650. With my equipment, do you think the extra cash for the 650 would be worth it over the 600?

Aug 19, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Just another follow up post. Either I'm getting more and more used to the sound, or the amp's burning in nicely, because I'm enjoying things more and more every day.

I'm loving the way the sound gets bigger, rather than just louder, when the volume gets turned up.

I'm loving the clearly defined cymbals and high hats.

I'm loving the impact of percussion.

I'm loving the tightness and sheer quality of the bass. It's very easy to distinguish small variations in bass notes; definitely NOT one note bass here!

I'm loving the way vocals come through so full of life. Choral pieces are just awesome!

I'm loving the sound stage and dynamics.

I'm loving the sheer musicality of this combination. Where music's concerned I'm very passive. Not a dancer, not a head banger. I just like to quietly sit and enjoy. This afternoon I was listening to Keb' Mo' - Slow Down, and I just couldn't keep from tapping my feet and nodding my head, the rhythm and feel was just coming through so beautifuly.

I'm very, very happy, and thankfully I got outbid on a HD 650 on eBay. I think I'll just spend the cash on some more blues CDs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back