Little Dot 2(+)(++) Tube Rolling. Found some Buys...
Apr 3, 2007 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Duc

100+ Head-Fier
Just a quick line...

Found some EF91's on eBay and have been running them in the LD2+ with major inprovements over the Mullard EF92's.

Nationals
Internationals

Definately push more power as the amp can now drive the k701's. Not sure if the LD2+ can actually run the 6AM6(EF91) but I recall when I bought the amp that it was supposed to ship with them (hopefully nothing blows up or burns down). Anywhoo, the 81's are much more forward and musical than the Stock "Mullards" Not a bad upgrade for a few bucks IMO. The nationals are slightly more musical and defined in the highs than the Internationals but the difference is marginal elsewhere. The amp is actually worthwhile now.

cool.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick line...

Found some EF91's on eBay and have been running them in the LD2+ with major inprovements over the Mullard EF92's.

Nationals
Internationals

Definately push more power as the amp can now drive the k701's. Not sure if the LD2+ can actually run the 6AM6(EF91) but I recall when I bought the amp that it was supposed to ship with them (hopefully nothing blows up or burns down). Anywhoo, the 81's are much more forward and musical than the Stock "Mullards" Not a bad upgrade for a few bucks IMO. The nationals are slightly more musical and defined in the highs than the Internationals but the difference is marginal elsewhere. The amp is actually worthwhile now.

cool.gif

I'm an ex owner of LD2+; Mr. Yang never ships LD2+ with EF91s. The EF91s are used solely on the LD3 and LD3+. The pin layout might be same for both EF92 and EF91, but they don't substitute each other. Are you sure it is safe to use EF91s on the LD2+?

Apr 3, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 10
heh heh. No I'm not sure its OK but it works, for now.

Similar ratings
EF91
EF92

I do recall (I have a cached page somewhere) that when I bought the LD2+ the description stated it used EF91's and I remember being surprised that it shipped with EF92's

The tubes themselves run a little hotter but the amp seems to be cooler. It is now just below hot as before it was HOT.

Not sayn, just sayin. It probably isn't a good idea, but...

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 10
So just playing around with the amp again.
With th EF91's the LD 2+ barely gets warm where as with the EF92's that it came with it's down right hot. I did find a browser cache that I saved from when I bought it, and the page explicitly states that the amp uses EF91's

yeah, so yeah

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So just playing around with the amp again.
With th EF91's the LD 2+ barely gets warm where as with the EF92's that it came with it's down right hot. I did find a browser cache that I saved from when I bought it, and the page explicitly states that the amp uses EF91's

yeah, so yeah

Did you just say barely hot? Are you sure that is the case? Can you still put your hand on the amp without getting burned with the EF91? This definitely looks very interesting.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 10
I was looking at some 6am6 previously for my LD2++ as well, I asked mr. yang in a pm and his reply is as following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sword_yang
Quote:

Originally Posted by systema
Also, I'm wondering if I can substitute the EF92 with EF91 in the II++ unit or not.

The EF91 heater current bigger than EF92 100 MA, the unwell suitable for use is in the LD II+/II++.
heater current:
EF91:300 MA
EF92:200 MA

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Good to know. I'm waiting on a pair of MWT W77's at the moment. I don't expect them to replace my M8161's but it should be fun to try something different. I see a lot more international tubes listed starting at about ~$27 shipped here to the states for a pair, but that seems sorta expensive.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see a lot more international tubes listed starting at about ~$27 shipped here to the states for a pair, but that seems sorta expensive.

Yeah, four or five pairs of these and you got yourself a Mk4.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you just say barely hot? Are you sure that is the case? Can you still put your hand on the amp without getting burned with the EF91? This definitely looks very interesting.

Yessir you can keep your hand on it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back