Little Dot 1+ with LM4562 and Blackgate NX Hi-Q --- why?
May 31, 2012 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stratowhammy

Head-Fier
I found this mod for the Little Dot I+ with the LM4562 being used as the opamp.  Apparently this guy soldered Blackgate NX Hi-Q .1uF/50v resistor (at least I think its a resistor) to the actual opamp.  What are the benefits/why would someone do this?  Any thoughts ...

... my main concern here is that if I'm just using the LM4562 in my Little Dot I+ without adding this resistor, am I risking any kind of damage to my unit?

May 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 4
That is a capacitor, not a resistor. Looks like it is used as a power supply bypass capacitor. Typically bypass capacitors are integrated into the circuit to stabilize the op amp. I doubt there would be much if any benefit in adding the additional bypass cap to the LM4562. 

May 31, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your thoughts... Why would someone do it then?  The main thing is that my amp is safe *phew* AND it sounds fantastic ... I highly recommend this opamp over the opa2107 (unless I have a fake, in which case I don't know how it sounds) - the opa2107 is more forward and punchier, but i think that the detail is far greater with the LM4562 and the compatibility with Mullard 8161 tubes is better.  Thanks for your insights impreza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back