Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp Vs Schiit Vali.
Dec 11, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 6
If I wanted a small tube amp that was plug & play, then I would choose the Vali. If I wanted a tube amp that I could use to experiment with tube rolling and that I could gaze at and watch the tubes glow, then I would choose the LD 1+.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 6
the tweaker inside me goes right to the the Little Dot, but on a practical note the adjustable gain stages and ease of replacing tubes if you had to makes it a winner all round for me, considering my main cans are 50 ohm hd589's.  Could the Vali design and construction be that much better that besides the practical matters its the real choice for a p&p amp?

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, by "plug & play", I was thinking more of the completely novice buyer that has no experience with tubes and very little experience with amps of any kind. I think the Vali's low output impedance, enclosed tubes and neutral, low noise design make it a bit more user friendly for a first timer.

But, I do think seeing the tubes is an important part of enjoying a tube amp!

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Ah my mistake. well I completely agree with you, my passions are music (as a musician) and HIFI gear, headfi is a new avenue for me. that being said Ive been tinkering with tube amps for a while so the idea of doing so in headfi at a relatively low cost makes my day. have you yourself had any experience with Little Dot?

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 6
I have never owned one - I've only played with several of them briefly at a head-fi meet. They have a loooong history with head-fiers, and there are many happy customers over in the desktop amp forum. I have not heard the Schiit Vali, but I have heard the Magni, Asgard & Valhalla - and those are all really nice amps. If you stretched your budget to $350 for the Valhalla 2, I think you would be very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back