norskman

100+ Head-Fier
Have moved this Post over here as I placed it wrong forum?/ sorry
frown.gif

[size=x-small]Little Country III Or Alternatives?[/size]

Hello Folks...
regular_smile .gif

Just wanted some advice please re suitable Head~Amp

My system will be Dell Studio 32 bit+Musicstreamer II+& Audioengine A5s + Grado 60 i H/Phones+ Custom Made Cables.Thing is I spent more on this set up than I planned..and I would very much Like to integrate my Grados into this system but {I WAS} told it is not that easy?have now being told the Little country II or similar can be made to link to the above set up which is a relief!
beerchug.gif

I was looking at the Little country Amp? but know very little about it..I have read many reviews on many head amps..I will have a budget up to £150+ (I know the little country is much more than this) but f I can find a great little amp(cheaper) so much the better... that would be great

I am still not sharp when it comes to understanding all this so please keep it as simple as possible

All The Best
Steve
L3000.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi There
many thanks for that super fast reply..much obliged at least I have a starting point to wrok from..I am familiar with this head amp...at least.along with others..I am told i require a pre amp/Head amp combined and why I was looking at the little country III

all the very best Steve

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Since the A5s are powered speakers, I don't see why you would need another amp in that lineup. I dislike double or triple amping in general. You would just have to swap RCA cables between that DAC to the speakers or the amp - if that's too bothersome you would need a stereo RCA switch, which can be hard to come by.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 16
Hi There
I was told that I required a pre/power head amp//simple as that really..I know little about audio so take a lot of advcie...but even I was a bit deflated thinking oh no not another amp...?

It is not to bothersome I am just looking for the best way to do this...if someone can explain simply how it will all work together...I am very open to all suggestions

all the best Steve

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 16
Essentially, a preamp takes low level sources, such as microphones and pickups, and amplifies them to what is known as line level to be further amplified.

I believe that that DAC should already put audio out at line level, although someone may correct me on that. From the DAC, you would take the RCA cables and connect them to either the Audioengines, which have their own built in speaker amplifier, or to a headphone amplifier to power your headphones.

One feature that that amp does have is a bypass and a preamp. Both would allow you to connect your audioengines to the back of the headphone out, meaning you don't have to switch cables or get a switch. However, I haven't heard that amp and I don't know anyone here who has, so I really don't know about it.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'll find the little country a bit pricey
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 16
Hi Again
many thanks for that I am really grateful to you..it really helps..please can you link me to the little dot site so I can look further

any other contenders please let me know

all the best Steve

ps is the little country III not a real contender?

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 16
www.littledot.net

It could very well be a contender, but I haven't heard one, and don't know of anyone that has. It's not a terribly popular product, though that certainly doesn't mean its bad.

My other recommendations would be the HiFiMan EF2 or the Starving Student Millet Hybrid, which is a DIY design, but is available here: Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

Not sure who ships to Norway though. You'll have to figure that out. Best of luck.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 16
This Head-fier seems to "rather enjoy" his Little Country, you might want to ask him about it.

It looks good to me; I have a Firestone DAC/ADC with separate PSU and rather like it myself
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 16
Hi Again
beyersmile.png

Have just being checking out the Little Dot MK IV Tube Headphone Amplifier / Pre-amplifierLink you gave me..it looks a superb little amp wonder if users could give me some more feedback please..will certainly help a lot..in my final choice of amp

all the best Steve
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 16
{{{{{Little Dot MK IV Tube Headphone Amplifier / Pre-amplifier}}}}}

I think I may have found the winner?I have received some excellent feedabck on this amp..it sounds ideal..to me but I will await any further comments by users of the Little~Dot Range

all the best Steve

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 16
Hmmmm. That's an excellent amp, though I'm not quite sure that it has the best synergy with Grados. It does, however, have those preamp outputs that you wanted and is an excellent amp for the money. It would also power just about any pair of headphones you ever get.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 16
Hi Again
many thanks for your helpful comments..re the Little Dot MK IV Tube Headphone Amplifier / Pre-amplifier? I have only just purchased the Grado 60 i phones..but if another headphone is suggested to me then I may well go for that and sell the grados?
I liked the idea of this Little Dot tube amp: It sounded oh so good..but I should not get to carried away I know more imput appreciated

all the best Steve
beerchug.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Hi Again
have being working hard to see if I could come up with a good solution to the head amp question?
I have a top guy in the USA advising me...he as a lot of patience...the following quotes were in answer to my enthusiastic mail to him re-the Little Dot? it just proved I know very little and understand even less...so am still looking for a good option...which integrates if possible in to my system?

Any additional suggestions to specific Models much appreciated

all the best Steve
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Option A: Buy the little country Headphone preamp in which case you can plug your headphones directly into it.

Quote:

Option B: Buy one of the various the Little Dot headphone amps: and turn the power off on the powered speaker off before you turn on the Headphone Amp! when you want to listen to the headphones, then when your done. Turn off the headphone AMP, then unplug the Headphones, turn it back on, then turn on the powered Speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back