little bit help for a newbie
May 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kapooon

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Because i'm searching for a new headphone, I was lookin' on the net and i came out on this site.
I found some really useful reviews and a lot of different opinions about some headphones I'm interested in.

But still I'm not sure about which one is ideal for me.
I also don't use amps and those stuff because I actually never heard of it before I went to this site.
At the moment I have the Sony MDRED21LP in-ears, but the sound quality is not what i expected at all.
I also got a WeSC similar to Oboe, but over-ears (it was some limited edition) from a friend. This is not at all good quality, no bass at all and it sounds also very quiet on my ipod.

So, now I'm looking for a decent headphone, under/around 100$. It's for on my ipod nano 8GB new version.
I use it every day at the bus, on my way to college (it's like 1 hour way there and 1 hour back).
I listen to all kind of music except for metal and those stuff. I prefer electro and house (daft punk, justice, bloody beetroots,..) and that's also most of my stuff on my ipod. So I like some bass, but I also want to have a warm and clear sound.
So the most important thing for me is sound quality, and not the looks. Of course I don't need an ugly ass thing either.

After searching several brands and hundreds of types, I got these eventually left:
- AKG K450
- Denon AH-P372
- Philips SHL9600
- Shure SRH440

At the moment I prefer the Denon because it's (after that Philips) the cheapest one in Belgium. 60€ = 75$
Whhich one of these would u guys prefer?
You can also give other suggestions of course, but these 4 seemed to fullfill my expectations.

Thanks in advance =)
btw: sorry for my bad english ;D

May 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 16
For the looks and portability the Denon AH-P372's are a good choice. But still my vote goes for the Shure's, they are the best closed pair of cans on the $100's range...great build quality and bass is just good. (not bassy)

Edit: I meant Shure's. :p

May 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 16
So you're sayin' the Denon is a good choice, but you would still go for the Denons? Hmm :p

May 24, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 16
no I'm really searching for a headphone over-ears/on-ears.
I've had some IEM's but they broke pretty fast and I don't really like the feeling in my ears.

May 24, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 16
atm I'm considering the AKG K450, but do they block enough outdoor sound? I don't like listening to the engine of the bus all the time.

May 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 16
I'm not sure..From the reviews I've read, almost all of the people say they're too tight, so it irritates after an hour.
But can those tightness reduce after an amount of time or not?
They also have a wire on each side. But it costs indeed half as much as the k450..

May 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 16
From the ones on your list I've only had the P372. Nice sounding headphones, well balanced and with a good bass, not boomy. My only complaints were about the comfort: I found them not so easy to fit and they started getting uncomfortable after a while. But I wear glasses and I have a big head 
smile.gif
, so this may not be your case. Also, I've found them a bit too cheap made and the cable are thin and tangle a lot. Still a very good value talking about their sound. 

Regards
K.

May 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
I'm not sure..From the reviews I've read, almost all of the people say they're too tight, so it irritates after an hour.
But can those tightness reduce after an amount of time or not?
They also have a wire on each side. But it costs indeed half as much as the k450..

I own these and the clamp on your head does start to hurt your ears after 1hour + of use. However in my opinion they sound very good.

May 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 16
K81/518 comfort can be improved dramatically by carefully bending the metal portions of the headband to reduce the pressure on your ears. There is some loss in isolation but (for non-bassheads) also an improvement in the balance of the bass against the rest of the spectrum.

May 25, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 16
hmm there are really a lot of people who think they're not comfortable, so I don't think I'm gonna take that risk.
but I did find something else: Beyerdynamic DT 235.
According to the reviews they're comfortable and have a good isolation. But my concern is: will they sound loud enough on my unamped ipod? because that's a problem I now have with my wesc..
the sens is 95 dB..would that be enough? or is there somethin' else that is important?
and is that cable detachable? because I see a lot of images of the headphone without cable

May 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 16
I haven't heard the DT235 but Headroom says they're very efficient (so iPod volume shouldn't be a problem) as well as sounding good and being comfortable (comfort is always kind of a relative thing, though, with on-ear closed phones.) So they seem like an excellent choice.

As people will say, grab them and then run away from this place to protect your bank account. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back