Little Bear MC1023 A/B Switcher (Douk Nobsound)
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

john61ct

Head-Fier
keywords: Headset Headphone Microphone Mics Source Selector Splitter Smartphone PC Calls Conferencing

switches both headphones + stereo mics between two sources

TRS 1/8" / 3.5mm unbalanced connectors, needs adapters for CTIA TRRS

can switch between e.g. smartphone & PC, for making and accepting inbound calls, Zoom conference, Skype etc using either device

includes volume knob, mute button

also switches between headphones and speakers

https://www.doukaudio.com/2-way-aud...itcher-hub-volume-control-selector-p0092.html

Cheap, available all the usual places.

Looking for alternatives please, either better "audiophile" cred or better looking, or more portable.

Also for suggestions wrt 2-way wireless transceiver devices, BT or WiFi, that would carry both the microphone and headphone signals with decent SQ and low latency.

Please read my obligatory "hello forum" introductory post for general background context: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hi-im-bit-of-a-private-sort.936027

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Doing my best not to get lost here! Making me work hard. Hehe!

So you would have your single pair of headphones and a single mic connected to the front output of the switcher and the 2 inputs occupied by your phone and your PC. For your phone, if it has a 3.5mm out fine but if not you will need a dongle DAC/amp to get that 3.5mm output to connect to one of the switcher inputs. Not sure how you will manage the phone mic though? Is there a way to get your phone mic out to this? You would to use the hands free mic of your phone while your phone is corded out to the switcher and that is not outdoor friendly.

Also, for your PC, you end up relying on the onboard sound card which I think is a bad idea if you are looking into a quality replay.

It may work with a bunch of adapters and powered usb hubs and a bunch of wires but that defy both purposes of portability and sound quality.

Back to the drawing board aren't we? :)

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 6
So you would have your single pair of headphones and a single mic connected to the front output of the switcher
Well output is right for HP, but it is inout wrt the mic.

> 2 inputs occupied by your phone and your PC

Could be two PCs, or a tablet, whatever, say 2 "screen devices".

I would never use a phone without a 3.5mm analog port.

But yes, may often want to interface via DAC if that is better SQ.

> Not sure how you will manage the phone mic though? Is there a way to get your phone mic out to this?

Not sure what you mean? The whole point of TRRS phone jacks is including the mic and phones, as in a standard headset.

But many use a Y cable / breakout port box to allow for separate HP vs mic connection, as with standard sound cards and this Little Bear "headset preamp".

As soon as the external mic is connected, the phone's built-in mic is disabled, and afaik that cannot be overridden.

> Also, for your PC, you end up relying on the onboard sound card which I think is a bad idea if you are looking into a quality replay.

I have the choice between that and using a USB DAC anytime, just as I do with the phone.

Remember, there is not just one context or use case scenario here. Sitting in my living space vs in a cafe all day, just as different as riding a bike or sitting at the beach.

Horses for courses, mix and match.

Are you aware of other better devices with similar functionality? Other ways to accomplish what I want?

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't think they make any kind of "audiophile" approved versions of such a switcher. If this is what you really want, along with the wired mess this will cause :) , try it out I say. Your opinion of such a setup might be reinforced or diminished after usage but due to the small price of this investment (switcher, Y adapter and a bunch of 3.5mm cables), just try it out.

I also work sitting a a desk at home with a 2.1 system, a personal PC, a work laptop and my phone for the occasional phone related calls and it's a computer (personal PC) driven setup only. Whenever I make or take a call, I drop the headphones or mute the 2.1 and use a Bluetooth ear dongle because it's simple and practical. I don't need to hear people in 2.1 and I don't want to look like I have a spaceship on my head. Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back