Lithium Energiser 9v batteries - faulty?
Dec 13, 2004 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cupples

Head-Fier
Hi folks, I ordered a couple of boxes of these batteries off ebay a few months ago, for use mainly in a Sennheiser radio mic, and I've had nothing but trouble with them. First of all, they stink! And a new battery lasts about five minutes before fading out in a mic that usually runs for a few hours on Duracells. Do I have a bad batch? There is no best-before date anywhere on the packaging. Some smell worse than others, I'm wondering if they are leaking?? They seemed like a great idea, but the amount of hassle I've had with them - I thought it was the mic playing up (it's nearly new).
Thanks,
Andrew

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes, your "new" lithium batteries had been poorly stored. Some of the batteries are definitely leaking. And Energizer had stopped making 9V lithium batteries a few years ago due to the lack of sales; in fact, another company now makes those batteries.

As for lithium batteries that have standard, "universal" sizes and shapes, Energizer now makes only AA and AAA lithium batteries.

Dec 13, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 7
What do you describe as 'stinking'?

I have some energiser lithiums (medical grade, if that makes a difference) and they come in a sealed package, and when opening them up there is a VERY strong smell of something medical / cleansing.

Mine are the 522FP on this link - are yours the same?

Apart from that, I have no problem at all with battery life time?!?

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 7
These are supposed to have over 1000 mAh in them (insane). You've definitely got some faulty batteries.

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Duncan, that is the same type. The smell is a strong chemical one, although some are worse than others. I suspect I've just got a bad batch. I should actually try one in my headphone amp, but it's a little less demanding than a radio mic, so I wouldn't expect such an obviously bad result. Every time I used the bloomin mic it cut in and out, faded away, just plain refused to work properly. No problems with duracells. It could be some weird incompatibility issue with Lithium batteries?
Andrew

Dec 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Cupples... definetly sounds suspect.

I'd offer to send you a couple of mine, but - I'm not really sure (as you say, could be the application) if they'd be any better... using an 18v (2x9) amp, I can get about 70-80hrs as a minimum i'd say... if you have a stash of the things, give them a go - like you said, and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back