liteon cd-rw problem...please help.....
Mar 20, 2004 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

etys rule

1000+ Head-Fier
I bought this 52X Lite On drive from J&R and installed it without a hitch. Shows up in Device Manager and I finally was able to download the firmware off the net thinking the glitch was with XP. Now, I've got the drive reading data discs, but no music discs (neither store bought or CD-RW). I've spoken with LiteOnIt Customer Service twice and they have no idea. After doing a Google search, I read a few posts where people have had similiar problems. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

I'm running a PII 400Mhz and 512MRAM

I'm at wits end.

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by etys rule
I bought this 52X Lite On drive from J&R and installed it without a hitch. Shows up in Device Manager and I finally was able to download the firmware off the net thinking the glitch was with XP. Now, I've got the drive reading data discs, but no music discs (neither store bought or CD-RW). I've spoken with LiteOnIt Customer Service twice and they have no idea. After doing a Google search, I read a few posts where people have had similiar problems. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

I'm running a PII 400Mhz and 512MRAM

I'm at wits end.

Thanks.

You mean you can't *hear* the audio, but the disc will load in a CD player app such as Media Player?

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Jeff,

When I open WMP it recognizes the title and songs. Which is how I know I'm half right. When I hit play, it scrolls through all the songs until it finds one it can read. Usually the fourth song regardless of album. It reads the first seven seconds and then scrolls through the other songs until it picks up another song. I've tried different CD's and no luck.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fact that I am running a PII machine with 52X drive??

I'm off to J&R to see what the salesman says.

Please keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 7
It should have nothing to do with your computer's age. Theoretically, a 52X drive could work on a 486 as long as the computer had a spare IDE channel. I would check your connections and also try to update your chipset drivers, notably your IDE ones. It's a long shot, though.

If not, perhaps try a drive of a different brand. If the same thing happens, I would say that something odd is wrong with your computer and it'd have to go from there
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back