Lite DAC60 - PCM1704 R2R tubed DAC Mod Project
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #226 of 362
  I am trying to find information on the software controller for the DAC 50 and/or 60 have you ever seen any. I have an empty DAC 50 board to work with. I believe it is an Atmel but have no idea to its programming. Any ideas would be appreciated. I like your upgrades to the 60. I think I can use 1704 in place of pcm63 id I want. Thanks for any help.

best regards,
Steve

I have seen those DAC50 boards for sale on Ebay - you might want to check with those sellers.

Good luck

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #228 of 362
  ok, i must be insane...installed the eichmanns, and then noticed the sub frequencies bust a move. i am not a cable junkie...but i might be a closet case?

bust a move - that's a good thing right?  Did you replace the RCA outputs or the RCA SPDIF input or both?

I did notice an improvement in the bass on mine and greater clarity in the mid to high mids (using pure copper Vampires to replace the gold plated brass CRC outputs).  Same when I replaced the SPDIF RCA with an Eichmann as a second step.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #230 of 362
man everytime i look at this i want one lol. Question about these tube DACs though, Would one leave them on all that time like the solid state DACs? or would you only turn it on when you want to listen? if so does it need a lot of time to warm up? i read about the caps needing like 500 hours of burning in / charging? im guessing if you turn it off it'll start losing that magic?

Side question, where can i obtain these super magical russian holy grail 6922 tubes? i wonder how the sound with the Vali 2 amp. Maybe i can get a single tube and then find a matching pair for this DAC if i end up getting one?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #231 of 362
  man everytime i look at this i want one lol. Question about these tube DACs though, Would one leave them on all that time like the solid state DACs? or would you only turn it on when you want to listen? if so does it need a lot of time to warm up? i read about the caps needing like 500 hours of burning in / charging? im guessing if you turn it off it'll start losing that magic?

Side question, where can i obtain these super magical russian holy grail 6922 tubes? i wonder how the sound with the Vali 2 amp. Maybe i can get a single tube and then find a matching pair for this DAC if i end up getting one?

Well the burnin on the caps once complete - done (and yes the big Mundorfs need 500 hrs).  The charging takes only a few minutes on turn on.  The issue is circuit and tubes warming up.  That should only take a few hours.

I do leave mine on and playing 24/7.

The HG Russians are very hard to find - PM me - occasionally I come across a few spare pairs I'd be willing to sell.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #232 of 362
Hi, anyone know of a pure 20wpc class A solid state amp that sounds good? Budget would be around $1k but can go a little bit higher.  It will be used with my modded Dac60 and drive some efficient speakers.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #233 of 362
  Hi, anyone know of a pure 20wpc class A solid state amp that sounds good? Budget would be around $1k but can go a little bit higher.  It will be used with my modded Dac60 and drive some efficient speakers.

I would check out the Bada 3.3SE Class to 30watts then biases to A/B.  I have two of the older version with 6922 tube pre- absolutely amazing amps.  Recapped with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil - the best I have ever owned.  And I had a $26k Conrad Johnson Act2/Response Audio Hurricane set-up before.

http://www.cattylink.com/page80.html

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #234 of 362
Those hybrid class A amps look heavenly.  Several years ago I purchased a hybrid Jolida turntable preamp.  After some upgrades, I haven't heard one better.  Do you recommend the 3.3SE or the 3.8MK? 

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #235 of 362
  Those hybrid class A amps look heavenly.  Several years ago I purchased a hybrid Jolida turntable preamp.  After some upgrades, I haven't heard one better.  Do you recommend the 3.3SE or the 3.8MK? 

Good question.  I'm not as excited about the 4 -12u7 pre-amp as my version of the 3.3 - as mine uses two 6922's. 

I have always been curious to hear the 3.8MK.  It's a bit more money.  It does use MOSFETS  - my favorite SS output device.  Only 20 Watts class A though.  And has a pre-out that has to be linked to the amp-in - needs a very high quality interconnect for that.  The raises the cost factor and it uses the only output jacks.  The 3.3 has 4 inputs and one output (fixed).  I run my Headphone amp input from this output - it bypasses the vol control.

I love how the 3.3 use of two HUGE torodial transformers - one for each channel - for the output stage.  A separate R-core for the pre-amp stage.  This beast weights 50 lbs at least.  The overall quality of components is very good - but I upgraded most of the caps in the pre-section with Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oils - this was close to $1000 of caps  - but now with the HG Russian tubes world class.

I will tell you either is an extrodinary audio bargain s- I pd $800 for my 3.3's but the Yuan was much weaker vs the dollar back then.

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #236 of 362
This one looks interesting as well - http://www.cattylink.com/a221.html

ShengYa A-221 FULLY BALANCED TUBE HYBRID CLASS A INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
Beautiful case and design - single massive torodial transformer.

Can you believe $1200 - plus shipping which is not cheap.  But still - looks like a $10K amp.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #238 of 362
All of those look incredible. I wont have a need for a built in preamp or switcher. I am using a passive gold point controls stepped attenuator for volume control. I would like to upgrade my bedroom amp - I am using an Onkyo A9070. I dont know how much of an increase in sound quality I would gain as it is quite good at low volumes, just a tad lower than the Parasound A21 amp that I use in the living room. What do you think about the Luxman 550ax? It is available for $2800 including shipping from Japan on Amazon.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #239 of 362
All of those look incredible. I wont have a need for a built in preamp or switcher. I am using a passive gold point controls stepped attenuator for volume control. I would like to upgrade my bedroom amp - I am using an Onkyo A9070. I dont know how much of an increase in sound quality I would gain as it is quite good at low volumes, just a tad lower than the Parasound A21 amp that I use in the living room. What do you think about the Luxman 550ax? It is available for $2800 including shipping from Japan on Amazon.

That Luxman is a beautiful unit - I'm partial to tubes hyrids - but it is class A. Great price too.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #240 of 362
Some nice upgrades
beyersmile.png

RIKE AUDIO S-CAP with Mundorf silver-gold-oil

Solid siver wire 0,8mm∅ with Eichmann Bullet clone welded on the DAC board 30$ of furniture

The final result worth the works...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back