Lite DAC60 - PCM1704 R2R tubed DAC Mod Project
Nov 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #211 of 362
  that's odd rerca  spdif cables, as i thought rca fittings can't really do true 75 ohm...oh well, order the female bnc fitting from mouser, the fancy silver cable is up next

Where did you hear that?  No true - the issue is many cheaper SPDIF coax RCA term cables are not built to the Philips/Sony specs - same for the RCA coax connectors (esp the brass/tin gold plated kind).

Here is the info on the Eichmann's

The new Eichmann PhonoPod HC-XTC RCA female chassis socket is a low mass design with low inductive reactance for superior, extended bandwidth and more detailed, coherent sound. The PHonoPod HC-XTC uses 20 micron gold micro-plating over pure copper, resulting in better signal transfer, higher resolution, and our unique controlled 'skin-depth ratio' or SDR� for enhanced frequency/phase coherency. The PhonoPod also has the added advantage of being a true 75 Ohm impedance connection, amking this an ideal connector for use in digital (SPDIF) or video applications

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #212 of 362
they claim, but you still need to switch out your existing rca sockets to 'make it so'. i'm still going with the high quality japanese silver cable and 75 ohm/bnc  fittings all way round, a bit cheaper too this way :wink:

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #213 of 362
  they claim, but you still need to switch out your existing rca sockets to 'make it so'. i'm still going with the high quality japanese silver cable and 75 ohm/bnc  fittings all way round, a bit cheaper too this way :wink:

Yes I did so - I had to drive out the hole on the back of the DAC60 to fit the Eichmann - not to difficult. Used Mundorf Solid Silver Teflon Wire from the board.

Nice improvement of the focus and clarity.

BTW Eichmann has a great reputation (see Eichmann plugs) for exact impedance plugs (even before WBT NexGen's) and German engineering.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #214 of 362
Is this the best BNC jack from Mouser?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Trompeter-Cinch-Connectivity-Solutions/UCBBJE20-1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtE0my147CO46HL50Kjiy26

I saw a Vampire branded one on Parts Connexion, but it looks like it was designed for surface mounting.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #217 of 362
the Eichmann 'bullet' male connectors look neat, and the pre wrapped in cotton solid silver cable that they sell looks like i could make some decent rca ic (analog) for dac to amp for not too much. tempting...

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #219 of 362
bnc cable arrived today, so time to open up the lite 60 to install the female bnc connector. it fit perfectly (no need to ream out the existing rca connector hole), soldered to existing spdif leads, and fired it up. my first impression is one of clarity, focus, extended depth. wow!

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #223 of 362
decided to go ebay for the solid silver/cotton dielectric rca interconnect cables, great deal on braided 20 gauge, and ordered the eichmanns.  the breeze unit should be here by tuesday. be interesting re results w/the dac60...

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #224 of 362
  decided to go ebay for the solid silver/cotton dielectric rca interconnect cables, great deal on braided 20 gauge, and ordered the eichmanns.  the breeze unit should be here by tuesday. be interesting re results w/the dac60...

My DAC60 has made such a big improvement in SQ with the Breeze it's amazing.  Then another leap with the Regen fed by a TeraDak linear power supply into the Breeze DU-U8.  Finally another leap with the Wyred Remedy fed by another TeraDak R-Core LPS (using the ViaBlue RCA connector).  I'm really in awe of the sound - rich natural tone to die for.  Just what I have been looking for - game over!  DAC wise at least.  The Regen/LPS and the Remedy/LPS all add greater depth to the already holographic presentation.  But the best has been the musical flow - so detailed yet ultra silky smooth.  Finally besting my very good analog set-up (Orotofon 2M Black/Modded Jolida JD-9/Tele SPs) so I sold the Jolida for $600.

One other tweek - StillPoint Vibration footers under the DAC60 and a can filled with lead shot (for weight - 5 lbs) on top.  Thick copper RFI/EMI shield on the power chord head.

Cheers!

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #225 of 362
I am trying to find information on the software controller for the DAC 50 and/or 60 have you ever seen any. I have an empty DAC 50 board to work with. I believe it is an Atmel but have no idea to its programming. Any ideas would be appreciated. I like your upgrades to the 60. I think I can use 1704 in place of pcm63 id I want. Thanks for any help.

best regards,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back