Liszt Sonata in B Minor. Your favorite recording?
Sep 6, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey folks. The Liszt Sonata in B Minor is my favorite piece of piano music. And I try to collect every available version of it. I'm never quite sure which is my favorite. There are so many good ones. Which is your favorite recording of it and why.

I am going to try to put up a poll of all the recordings of it that I know of.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 9
i own these recordings of the Liszt B minor sonata. they are supposed to be the best ones available.

Arrau (Philips)

41A1Z1CCMML._AA240_.jpg

Richter (Philips)

415PZSM5BHL._AA240_.jpg

Argerich (DG)

41BYEZYCCSL._AA240_.jpg

you actually own/have heard all of the recordings you list in the poll.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own these recordings of the Liszt B minor sonata. they are supposed to be the best ones available.

Arrau (Philips)

41A1Z1CCMML._AA240_.jpg

Richter (Philips)

415PZSM5BHL._AA240_.jpg

Argerich (DG)

41BYEZYCCSL._AA240_.jpg

you actually own/have heard all of the recordings you list in the poll.

Great choices.....yeah I've collected all available recordings I know of this piece. At one point in time I listened to the piece twice a day for a two year period

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't own the Piano Sonata, but I have Arrau's performace of Liszt's Transcendental Etudes. I absolutely love it!!!

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 9
I vote Pollini - the man is on FIRE in this recording.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great choices.....yeah I've collected all available recordings I know of this piece. At one point in time I listened to the piece twice a day for a two year period

so which are your top 3 or 5.

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi David,

I couldn't find your poll to cast my vote, but I would like to give this thread a bump anyway.
I am also a longtime fan of this great piece of music, and so far I have audited the following recordings:

favorites:
- Argerich (mentioned above): a revealing insight into what this piece can unleash in a passionate young woman. A roller-coaster ride at high velocity from start to finish. Highly recommended, but not my absolute favorite.
- Arrau (mentioned above): a very careful study and original interpretation of the piece, without losing too much of the full force and expressiveness that a rendition should carry (good job).
- Zimerman: All technical aspects in full grasp and really sung from the heart. Highly recommended. 
- Horowitz 1932: great stuff - the dark is really dark ant the light is really light - a very "Lisztian" performance but poor sound quality in the recording. 
- Horowitz 1976: my absolute favorite recording of the piece. This is how I imagine that Liszt himself would have played it - in his dreams! 
Horowitz has been criticized for "missing" notes and hitting "wrong" notes and I'm sure that I could mark a few notes in the score that maybe didn't come through in the recording, if I tried. But what I absolutely don't like a pianist to do with this piece is be careful with it. If you are going to play this piece - and I wish I could so God bless you for trying - I don't want you to analyze it and give it to me note for note, I want you to kill it. I want you to sweep me off my feet like Liszt has swept entire audiences from their chairs and lifted them into orgasmic heights. And where Argerich could maybe lift herself to such extremes, Horowitz will lift you. Nobody plays Liszt like Horowitz, in my humble opinion (nobody plays like Horowitz, for that matter). 

also good but less satisfying:
- Brendel (just too mannered for my taste)
- Richter (very musical but too careful, too studied approach for my taste) 
- Pollini (can't remember too well, maybe deserves a second listening)
- Ogdon (raw and powerful but gets a little boring nonetheless)
- Pogorelich (a careful, studied, boring lecture of the piece)

I've heard a few other recordings of the piece that didn't stick to memory - they probably weren't all that good. 

So there, let's hear it for the great B minor one more time (hurray)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back