gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Mine, in order:

1. Seinfeld
2. The Odd Couple
3. Bob Newhart Show (1970's version)
4. Mary Tyler Moore Show
5. MASH

My daughter will shoot me for not listing Friends -- so I'll give it an honorable mention. I suppose The Honeymooners was also a runner-up.

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 37
Oh man, can't say I'm happy about the 1999 cutoff, since there are a number of sitcoms that are my favorites beyond that year, but I'll still play along.

In no particular order:

Seinfeld
Three's Company
All In The Family
Frasier
The Simpsons

Honorable Mention: Cheers

EDIT: Changed my vote. Totally forgot about 'All In The Family', probably the best sitcom ever to appear on TV. Can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 37
The Simpsons
Futurama
Seinfeld
Frasier
Friends

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 37
Here goes:

1. Three's Company (Jack had it good.....)
2. Roseanne
3. Frasier
4. Coach
5. Everybody Loves Raymond

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 37
I see the Simpsons and Futurama have popped up -- I guess I wasn't thinking of animated sitcoms. If I were, I would have considered Family Guy for my top five. Oh yeah, it's too recent for that....

All in the Family is a good thought. Since so many of the episodes dealt with heavy social/political issues, I remember that show as a cross between a drama and a comedy.

I thought somebody would have mentioned "I Love Lucy" by now...

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 37
Seinfeld
The Honeymooners
Cheers
Mork and Mindy
I Love Lucy

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 37
1. M.A.S.H.
2. My Mother The Car
3. I Love Lucy
4. My Favorite Martian
5. Mad About You

I also enjoy(ed) 3rd Rock and That 70's Show.
Sadly, they don't make'em like M.A.S.H. anymore.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 37
arrested development
are you being served?
seinfeld
yes, minister
faulty towers

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 37
I Love Lucy
Seinfeld
All in the Family
Roseanne
Cheers

Mar 21, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arrested development
are you being served?
seinfeld
yes, minister
faulty towers

ok, I would have (maybe) listed AD too, but that's part of the reason I wanted shows that aired before 2000. My thinking is that I need four or five years to pass (and I can see the show in re-runs) before I can be "sure" if the show has that enduring quality. I think I will always love AD, but I can't (at least not yet) put it into that "top five" bracket. Same goes for Curb YE, but I may have to make an exception.
tongue.gif

I haven't seen Mork and Mindy since it aired. From what I recall, I enjoyed it more as a showcase for a coke-fueled Robin Williams, more than as a great show in its entirety.

I put MASH in my top five, but, thinking it through, I would qualify that statment to mean only with the original cast. I have a similar take on Cheers. Too many cast changes can kill any show, especially a comedy that thrives on ensemble work. For me, the true greatness of Seinfeld was the interplay of the characters. After all, in a show about nothing, you have to at least be interested in the actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back