Listening to your own setup cures upgraditis?
Nov 28, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 24
Well, even though my rig is not exactly hi-fi and thus the following comment does not necessarily apply, I remind myself that the reason why the music does not sound the way I think it should may be due more to the original performance than to my equipment.

Nov 28, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Well, even though my rig is not exactly hi-fi and thus the following comment does not necessarily apply, I remind myself that the reason why the music does not sound the way I think it should may be due more to the original performance than to my equipment.

It's another way to go! Certainly cheaper!
icon10.gif

CPW

Nov 28, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #18 of 24
Meets are the evilist evil out there. They show you new stuff, they seal the deal on the stuff you were on the fence about, they are just generally anti-wallet.

And I love em!

But to answer the original Q, it took awhile to get to the point where listening to the rig helped calm down the Curse instead of inflaming it more. I still think my portable rig needs a push here and there...

Nov 28, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 24
A couple of days with the iPod and unamped cans cures me every single time. Once I adjust to the iPod sound, which is still very good, the change back to my big rig just makes me sit back, smile, and enjoy my music so much my only thought is making sure I have enough tubes to make that beautiful music last forever.

Nov 28, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 24
I guess upgradis is caused by curiosity of what other people are writing for their equipments. If you just settle for what you got and dont worry about others then you will be able to enjoy your setup more. After all we are here to listen to music and not get crazy about not having the greatest setup ever.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #22 of 24
This can work for me. Though when reading that amp A is soooo much better than amp B or the one I happen to own, call it C, then I still do wonder. That said, rereading reviews of one's own equipment can greatly curb the urge to upgrade. Just reading something like an RA-1/RS-1 review was enough to really keep me away from other amps for a very long time. Eventually a dabbled with the Melos when I purchased the HP-1's, and then came dabbling with other amps, but when all is said and done, the RA-1/RS-1 combo is still very very nice and warrants the fine reviews written about it. Still, consistently reading how the Ear HP4 was the best thing since sliced bread had me hankering for a listen. Now with the same being said about amps like the new Headroom Max or the Single Power Maestros or SDS', well...I'm once again wondering. Not hankering, but wondering for now. Hankering will likely come later
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 24
Yes... for me. Ive come to the realization that the next step from an HF1 is an RS1, while the next step from an HD580 is a 650+adequate amplification. My ears just aren't keen enough to detect the difference and justify the price associated with doing so.

I guess I'm very content. I spend more of my time groovin' to the tunes than picking apart sounds in my head and trying to hear that last 5-10% that might be missing. although still I do want an SR71
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 24
Amen. The more you read, the more you buy! Listening keeps you satisfied with what you have. Heck, I survived on a Creative sound card and a pair of HD280 Pro for almost 6 months this way ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back