listening to the radio with headphones on
Nov 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

satkinsn

Head-Fier
From what I've read here, most serious HP listeners use either cds or files as their source material.

I'm wondering if anyone adds radio - either broadcast, satellite or online - to the mix. I don't mean 'on the go' casual listening, I mean sitting down with a nice tuner or Squeezebox or whatever and listening critically.

And if you do, what adjustments do you make? Do you shift to more forgiving phones? What about your DAC or amp, any changes? Or do you just dial back expectations?

tks,

s.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Great question.  Nostalgic question.  I used to, all the time, back in the day.  I would search out all the distant AM stations that played the "new music" ... and probably that's where my love of the headphone experience comes from - the sense of being in a private, intimate world all my own, with great stuff playing ... the classic stoner-fever-dream thing.

I can't answer the SQ questions because I haven't done it for decades.  But your post tempts me to re-start.  Thanks!

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm getting ready to try 'net radio through a rat's nest of cables - Squeezebox to DAC to mkIII (or something) to HPs.

I want to hear how SiriusXM's streams sound, and how my Live365 favorites sound.

s.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 5
I've plugged my Zune HD into my receiver a few times for HD radio programming, but have never really used HD radio as a source for critical listening. Usually I'll route it through my speakers. If I use headphones I pick the HD-595- their comparatively grainy resolution helps smooth out the compression artifacts a bit.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Opinions on these cans? I've had them for a while and they only work for AM/FM radio. They're called Street Beats model 887, and they still work. One of the clamps on the right side that holds the driver in is broken, but they still hold up and the sound quality is comparable to.... I wanna say very airy music. the music comes through both sides of my cans in equal amounts, so no stereo I guess. Should I just keep these? I'm guessing the only other thing just like them would be another pair, haha. http://twitpic.com/7u3a91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back