Listening to the E7/E9 combo together
Jan 12, 2012 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Semus

New Head-Fier
I was wondering how you guys listen to this combo together?

Do you use the headphone jack on the E9 or the E7 when they are connected?

I had heard that there was an odd way of listening to them. Well, not odd per-say, but different than usual when they are connected to each other. Is this true? Maybe I am just remembering a post incorrectly.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 15
You dock the E7 to the E9, and you plug in the headphones to the E9. The USB from the E9 goes to the PC. If not using a PC but another source, then the E7 is unused, so you must connect audio cables to the E9's line in.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 15
A tad confused by what you wrote. Are you saying that if I use a PC, I dock the E7 and then go from the PC to the E7? Or the E9?

What I am more confused about is why use the E7 at all? Is it because of the DAC? Sorry if I am not grasping the concept here. I'm a bit slow.

Quote:
You dock the E7 to the E9, and you plug in the headphones to the E9. The USB from the E9 goes to the PC. If not using a PC but another source, then the E7 is unused, so you must connect audio cables to the E9's line in.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 15
Sigh...

If you're using a computer, you connect the USB cable from the E9, to the PC, while the E7 is docked to the E9. NOTHING connects to the E7 while it is docked to the E9.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 15
It's even nicer now, since the newer E9's have gold plated connections.

My E9 is first gen. :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Perhaps I should make myself a bit clearer without sounding like a total idiot. Then perhaps you'll answer again without making me feel like one.

The only reason I ask is because, in theory, you wouldn't even need the E7 connected at all to listen, which is why I asked. Some people buy the E9 by itself. So, I suppose the real question is why have the E7 docked in the first place if it's not really needed?

PC-to-E9-Headphones. Don't really see how the E7 comes into the picture besides having the ability to use the E7 for portable use. This is the only thing I need clarification for. Please be gentler than last time...ok? Pretty please?

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes, unless your MAC/PC has a line out (not the headphone out or speaker out, but ACTUAL line out), then you will need the E7 to use the E9 properly.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 15
If you bought only the E9 which is the amp part then you will need to use the headphone jack out of your PC/laptop to connect to the line in of the E9. In that scenario, the E9 functions as an amplifier to amplify your source.

The E7/E9 will bypass the DAC in your laptop/PC and the E7 functions as a DAC and the E9 functions as an amplifier to amplify the analog signal from the E7 after the E7 converts digital signal from your laptop/PC to analog signal.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 15
The E9 is pretty neat unit. For example, I am going to upgrade my E7/E9 combo.  I can use the E9 as an pre-amp to drive my  active M Audio Bx5a speakers and since my CDP has a good DAC in itself, I do not need to use the E7 as a DAC in this set up. I can use the E7 as a DAC/amp combo to drive one of my tablets.

Play around with these units and you will figure out different way to set up your system in according to your need.

You ask about the E9 as stand alone unit. Yes it can be used as a headphone amplifier by itself without the help of the E7 if your source(s) has a decent DAC ( Digital to Analog Converter).

Most of the mass produced DVD/CDP /laptop/PC....have crappy internal DAC , therefore it is also better to bypass their internal DAC and to use the external DAC as the E7. 

Hope this help.

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
It's even nicer now, since the newer E9's have gold plated connections.
My E9 is first gen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mad Lust Envy, as far as the E7 as stand alone DAC/AMP , how long does it take to have it full charge and how long does each full charge last? Also there is no on-off switch, so I have to set it in sleep mode to preserve the battery? 

The manual is too little or I am getting too old, I cannot simply read them.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 15
The E7 FWIR lasts 80 hours from full charge to empty. It charges through the E9, so it's almost impossible to deplete the battery if you ever dock it.

I personally wouldn't get the E7 now though. I'd hold out on the Alpen which releases (I believe) this month.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for all the answers guys. That pretty much answers every question I had about the combo.

I was going to buy the E9 by itself and save some money, but I'm glad I got the combo instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back