Listening to loud phones reduces hearing accuracy?
Nov 19, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
No kidding, and I'm 19. It's unbelievable how stupid people are with loud volumes. I walk by people on campus wearing CLOSED headphones, they are a good 15-20 feet away and I can HEAR what music they are playing. It's ridiculous. Or sometimes a friend will hand me his headphones to listen to something and I'll rip them straight off as soon as the sound comes out, because it hurts like hell. I just don't understand how people can be so irresponsible and stupid. The worst ones are the ones that are like "durrh yeah it's loud but I'm sure they'll be able to fix deafness in 30 years anyway." Hah, you go ahead and blast it then, sonny. Damn kids and their music.

And its worst when they are earbuds.
blink.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
And its worst when they are earbuds.
blink.gif

yeah, it's crazy to head someone else's earbuds, while listening to music on my HD 25-1's

i stopped trying to reason with these people

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 26
It's weird, I'm only 16 and yet I'm the most paranoid person about hearing loss around where I live. I've always listened to music as quiet as possible, not knowing how loud is too loud. My friends, many of which listen to loud music, think that I'm insane. Plus, at the recent dance (at a nightclub), I think I was the only one there wearing earplugs. Last time I went I didn't, and for a few hours after everything was slightly muffled. There was some residual pressure the next day as well. When wearing earplugs, however, I found the sound quality actually improved, seeing as the levels weren't piercing the ears. That and I felt no pressure or sensitivity in my ears the next day. But back to my first point: some of my friends have listened to their music quite loud, and as a result they can't hear the high or mid end frequencies at all, at lower volumes.

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #20 of 26
well since apple is getting sued by the music industry for a cut of ipod sales, I think in 30 years apple should sue audiologists for a cut of the hearing-aid market!

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 26
Finally I found people who share the paranoia
biggrin.gif
. I just can't realize someone is so stupid he intentionally destroys the only sense to consume music.

You can't imagine how sorry I feel for my friends who will probably get a $$$ system in some years, but not being to get the point of it.

Well, I had tinnitus once for a few hours and "under a glass hood" feeling for some days (from shooting a .45 without ear protection, fortunately in an open-air range). I never do that again.

As for the music itself, I find too loud levels to temporarily lower the ear sensitivity, am I right? From the principles involved in lossy encoding, human is not able to hear similar frequencies a short moment after a strong sound impulse.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #22 of 26
Anyone know if using IEM's is safer than earbuds?

Since an IEM blocks out all sound pullution from the outside, the required sound pressure to sustain good clear volume of music should be less than with a bud/open can.

I use phones for good 6-8 hours daily in the office, and am seriously starting to be paranoid about hearing loss, even though I never listen to loud volume levels from cans (speakers are for that
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

80dBa is safe for 8 hours it is said, a Noisy traffic, corner is also rated at 80dBa, there is no way my music is louder than a noisy traffic corner or is it...
blink.gif

Grrr humans should come with a line-in jack; seriously.

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #23 of 26
Tinnitus...I have it. Its from exposure to loud sound . That could be from Drag racing , Motorcycles , Loud music ect. or it could be from other medical conditions. Exposure to loud music aggrevates the condition , listening to earbuds or canalphones at high volume levels for long periods and you will get a taste of it afterwards. It sounds (in my case )like the high pitch whistle of a tv thats not working right. I havent lost any hearing yet but I am trying to be careful not to worsten the condition.
Find a pair of earphones that satisfy you at low volume levels , dont crank up a pair of crap buds thinking they sound great at high volume , thats a problem.
Dont believe me??? I know people that tell me the ringing in their ears is deafening....like a tea kettle at full boil 24 hrs a day....that will drive you nuts!
I use buds that crank bass and have full spectum sound and listen at low to medium volume, thats the way to go.

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
Tinnitus...I have it. Its from exposure to loud sound . That could be from Drag racing , Motorcycles , Loud music ect. or it could be from other medical conditions. Exposure to loud music aggrevates the condition , listening to earbuds or canalphones at high volume levels for long periods and you will get a taste of it afterwards. It sounds (in my case )like the high pitch whistle of a tv thats not working right. I havent lost any hearing yet but I am trying to be careful not to worsten the condition.
Find a pair of earphones that satisfy you at low volume levels , dont crank up a pair of crap buds thinking they sound great at high volume , thats a problem.
Dont believe me??? I know people that tell me the ringing in their ears is deafening....like a tea kettle at full boil 24 hrs a day....that will drive you nuts!
I use buds that crank bass and have full spectum sound and listen at low to medium volume, thats the way to go.

Max-9... you should know that tinnitus means you alrealdy lost a part of your hearing. In your case it may be a very small part of the sensory hairs in the cochlea that are not functioning anymore, but you can be sure that sensitivity to HF sounds is decreased.
I can't believe how dangerous listening to headphones can be..
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
Well as for as the tympanic muscle goes it is possible to feel and hear it in action.
Become accustomed to as quite a environment as can be found, place a cup or somesuch
over an ear and give it a sharp tap, the muscles activity can then be felt/heard as a
sort of crump or rustling sound as it tries to adjust to the impulse of the tap.
Another method is just to hit pause when playing music, if it's loud you should
hear the muscles relaxing their grip as the sound stops.

If I sit in a quiet environment for a couple hours it makes my ears adjust and I get very sensitive to any sounds. If I then start listening to music it sounds VERY BAD and annoying for the ears, if I lower the volume to 30-40dB I still feel the ear muscle relaxing when pausing the music.

It always felt that the ears are "blocking" the sound if I turn up the volume and it sounds worse and more fatiguing because of it. So I used a comfortable volume of 55dB! After a couple years I have gone up to 65dB, but after a few hours of listening I automatically want to lower the volume a bit. I listen to trance music so there are not many quiet passages.

Edit: Music sounds better the more relaxed the ears are. This makes the ears "open up" for the music. If you let the ears adjust to silence they will not be relaxed if you suddenly expose them to louder sounds.

The optimal listening volume depends on the loudness of your daily environment. Like the loudness of your computer, a fanless computer is bad unless you listen to music the whole time so that your ears don't get enough time to adjust to the silence.
A fanless computer makes hearing better but it can also give tinnitus easier. When I used a fanless PSU in my gaming computer I had a nightmare week where I got annoyed of everything, I could hear vibration sounds in the room from a refridgerator or something. But when the fanless PSU broke I had to go back to my old PSU with a fan, and after a week I wasn't annoyed of the sounds in my environment anymore! The fan sound is actually kind of relaxing.

How to prevent tinnitus is from having white noise in the environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back