Listening to HIFIMAN HE6se at lower volume
Dec 24, 2023 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gorgorsan

New Head-Fier
Hi! I plan to drive them with my Simaudio solid state speaker amp (100W at 8 Ohms). Since they are hard to drive headphones does this also mean I have to listen to them more loudly to get them to sound great? I usually listen to headphones at low to moderate levels, never loud. Also, what is the difference between HE6se V1 and HE6se V2? Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Nonono, doesn't mean you need to listen loudly. If you listen too loud the drivers traces will literally jump out of its diaphragm. These are just hard to get loud.

Despite that, you'll always need to start your dac/pc muted, then have the power amp's pre-amp at its lowest volume and increase the volume slowly not to have a random pop blast away the traces. You'll need a pre-amp that has alot of volume steps to fine control things.

Also mute things, and have things at the lowest volume when unplugging the HE6SE v2. Then after its disconnected turn things off.

Never turn on/off the power-amp with the HE6 still connected.

1. Everything is off and HE6SE is disconnected.
  2. Turn on dac/pc or mute it. Or pause song on player device. No sound should be being fed.
  3. Turn on power amp and put pre-amp at lowest volume.
  4. Double check pc/player is muted.
  5. Connect your HE6SE headphone to power amp.
  6. Play music.
  7. Very gradually increase pre-amp volume without trying to push the limits of loudness.
  8. Enjoy
  9. Enjoy
  10. Done enjoying this listening session.
  11. Lower volume to minimum on pre-amp.
  12. Mute PC/player/dac.
  13. Double check its muted.
  14. Disconnect the HE6SE.
  15. Turn off the Power amp and whatever.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Nonono, doesn't mean you need to listen loudly. If you listen too loud the drivers traces will literally jump out of its diaphragm. These are just hard to get loud.

Despite that, you'll always need to start your dac/pc muted, then have the power amp's pre-amp at its lowest volume and increase the volume slowly not to have a random pop blast away the traces. You'll need a pre-amp that has alot of volume steps to fine control things.

Also mute things, and have things at the lowest volume when unplugging the HE6SE v2. Then after its disconnected turn things off.

2. Turn on dac/pc and mute it. Or pause song on player device. No sound should be being fed.
  5. Connect your HE6SE headphone.
  6. Very gradually increase pre-amp volume without trying to push the limits of loudness.
  7. Enjoy
  8. Enjoy
  9. Done enjoying this listening session.
  10. Lower volume to minimum on pre-amp.
  11. Mute PC/player/dac.
  12. Double check its muted.
  13. Disconnect the HE6SE.
  14. Turn off the Power amp and whatever.

2. Turn on dac/pc and mute it. Or pause song on player device. No sound should be being fed.
  5. Connect your HE6SE headphone to power amp.
  6. Very gradually increase pre-amp volume without trying to push the limits of loudness.
  7. Enjoy
  8. Enjoy
  9. Done enjoying this listening session.
  10. Lower volume to minimum on pre-amp.
  11. Mute PC/player/dac.
  12. Double check its muted.
  13. Disconnect the HE6SE.
  14. Turn off the Power amp and whatever.
Hi, infoseeker! Thank you so much for all the info and instructions : ) So even at low volume the bass will be heard just fine? Also, when you said: You'll need a pre-amp that has alot of volume steps to fine control things. It is integrated amp with 37dB of gain. I hope that is not too much and that it will be possible to adjust the volume.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 6
One safer way would be using the Hifiman HE-Adapter which is designed to let you run low sensitivity headphones like those from a speaker amp. They sound great with the Autoeq profile loaded, but the -6.9db preamp reduction will push any headphone amp to its limits.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi! I plan to drive them with my Simaudio solid state speaker amp (100W at 8 Ohms). Since they are hard to drive headphones does this also mean I have to listen to them more loudly to get them to sound great? I usually listen to headphones at low to moderate levels, never loud. Also, what is the difference between HE6se V1 and HE6se V2? Thanks!
I run the HE6se V2's. My favourite pairing is with the iFi Pro iCAN. I never listen to anything over 75Db's.
Also, I don't find them particularly bassy, but they Really do take to bass boost/EQ'ing.

The iFi Pro iCAN has tons of power, but I just go with mid-gain and volume doesn't get past 10:00 - 11:00, depending on the music. I love these headphones with the stock pads. I did grill mod and Dekoni Nuggets for comfort.

You can still get these from HiFiman for $609.00, I think. I bought from Adorama a few years ago at $599.00 and it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back