Listening To Headphones While Driving - Legal?!
Aug 16, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #16 of 59
I've done it for 20 years - commuting 100 miles RT a day.

Same as turning up a car stereo, which also drowns outside noise.

Never had a problem - you drive visually anyway and are just more vigilant with headphones. I remove then when I see a cop anywhere around.

Many of those who say it is dumb are the same ones who use cell phones while driving,and that is dumb.

Since the Etymotics came along, sound in the car much improved - like listening in a quiet room. Cops can't see that you are using them also.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #17 of 59
not as much a matter of legality, but of intelligence. driving with headphones on is just plain stupid. it is like idiots who blast their music so loud they cannot hear anything while driving.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #18 of 59
headphones put your mind in a different space. it doesn't even feel like you are in a car, no matter how nicely your headphones can imitate the acoustic properties and space of the car interior. that can't not be distracting, if your visual and audio mapping aren't consistent to your brain.

i don't understand the concern with using cellphones while driving though. if you (as i am) are perfectly capable of driving single hand on the wheel, with one free hand to rest on your lap or hold an object to the side of your head, and you can hold a conversation, speak and listen, to someone else in the car, what is the difference? a cellphone just minimizes that voice in the backseat/passenger seat to a small speaker that you have to carry.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #19 of 59
Depends where you are driving, and maybe how much you crank the tunes. I take them out in the city or in construction, etc, but out on the highway there is no problem, as long as I don't fiddle too much with the music choices. Like it's been said, most of your senses are visual when driving on the highway. Next IMO is vibration, then hearing. On my motorcyle I always wore earplugs due to the windnoise anyway and never noticed any problems, and on a bike you have to be if anything, more aware of what is going on around you.

The biggest problem is looking away from the road to badly placed radios or CD players. People tend to drive where their eyes look. That and of course cell phones which are in a totally different league of trouble.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 59
What I am coming to the conclusion of through my research on the web, is that it depends on the state. I found the Illinois Vehicle Code (Click) , searched it and nothing came up, so I don't think there is even a law in Illinois about that.

Even if your state has wearing headphones while driving as illegal, from what I have read, the law seems to be rarely enforced.

-EB

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by EBisky
but is it ILLEGAL?! That's what I want to know and where is the proof if it is?

Taken from the California DMV website:

"Distractions and Young

Drivers In the U.S., vehicle crashes are the number one killer of teenagers. Driver distractions, risktaking, and inexperience contribute to more than 5,000 teenage deaths each year. Talking with other teenage passengers or friends in another vehicle, cruising, wearing headphones or earplugs (illegal in California and most states), or playing music too loudly, can be deadly when combined with driving. Keep focused on driving safely and staying alive."

From this page:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl28.htm

Your state may vary.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #22 of 59
I'm suprised that no one mentioned not hearing an ambulance or fire truck bearing down on your car while your jamming to the Eagles "Life in the Fast Lane" through your canalphones.

Aug 16, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 59
Doing ANYTHING that distracts from driving is just plain UNSAFE! That includes wearing headphones, eating, reading a map, putting on makeup, shaving, cranking up the stereo so you can't hear anything else, talking on your cell phone, etc
rolleyes.gif

Obviously, there are varying levels of safety, and everyone has their own opinions as to what is and isn't safe. However, it seems to me that by wearing headphones while driving, you are intentionally depriving yourself of one very important sense... doesn't sound too smart to me.

And yes, I believe deaf people driving is definitely not safe. Not saying it shouldn't be allowed... simply observing that not being able to hear what's going on around you while operating a very large and dangerous piece of equipment is inherently unsafe. A car is a much more dangerous weapon than any firearm people can legally purchase in this country (including full-auto ones).

I've come up on a blind corner where an ambulance was emerging. If I hadn't heard it before reaching the corner, I wouldn't have been slowing down.

BTW, this has been discussed before:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107716
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83291

This one in particular puts it in perspective:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...1&postcount=30

Aug 16, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #24 of 59
Over here, it's illegal - for any type of vehicle on the road, even if you just ride a bicycle. The fine in case one get's caught by the police should be rather small, though - however, if one caused an accident wearing headphones, you can be pretty sure one's insurance company will refuse coverage...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #25 of 59
Listening to music with headphones basically disables your ability to notice sounds outside the car. How does that differ from being deaf? In my opinion, if deaf people are allowed to drive a car, one should be able to listen to headphones while driving. I enjoyed my PXC-250 when driving piece of junk car long distance: NC cuts some of the irritating background noise... Of course Shures would cut even more..

Aug 16, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #26 of 59
my boss has a nice car, then he started upgrading his car stereos. with that goes a very good noise insulation. you don't hear much of what's going on outside. music is definitely a bliss in that car.

me? i just stick with the low budget way of heraing good music in my car. the super.fi pro
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

btw, i still hear car honking or motorcycle going past me.
IEM's not that good of an insulation, IF you don't play your music loud.

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #27 of 59
There is no way to reason with a stupid person. I just hope if a car accent does happen because of this that only the stupid person using headphones or ear phones is the only one that gets hurt and not an Innocent person. This whole post is stupid and worrying if it is legal or not is not the question but how big is this persons brain is the question.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #28 of 59
Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, Title 75.
§ 3314. Prohibiting use of hearing impairment devices

(a) General rule.--No driver shall operate a vehicle while wearing or using one or more headphones or earphones.

(b) Exception.--This section does not prohibit the use of hearing aids or other devices for improving the hearing of the driver, nor does it prohibit the use of a headset in conjunction with a cellular telephone that only provides sound through one ear and allows surrounding sounds to be heard with the other ear, nor does it prohibit the use of communication equipment by the driver of an emergency vehicle or by motorcycle operators complying with section 3525 (relating to protective equipment for motorcycle riders).

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 59
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 27400

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a
headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does
not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined
in Section 165.
(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special
construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any
highway.
(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection
equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.
(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate
injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a
manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.
(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of
hearing.

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by EBisky
What I am coming to the conclusion of through my research on the web, is that it depends on the state. I found the Illinois Vehicle Code (Click) , searched it and nothing came up, so I don't think there is even a law in Illinois about that.

Even if your state has wearing headphones while driving as illegal, from what I have read, the law seems to be rarely enforced.

-EB

I thought they taught us that it is illegal to wear a headset in driving school. But that is years ago, so I'm not sure if it was or even still is a law here in IL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back