Listening To Headphones While Driving - Legal?!
Aug 16, 2005 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

EBisky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

I was just wondering if wearing/listening to your headphones while driving an automobile is legal?

Found some interesting links/stuff on the net about this topic:

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/8653.0.html
__________________________________________________ ____

"Q: Is it legal to listen to a digital-music player with headphones while driving?

A: Check with the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state for specific regulations. Even if wearing a full set of headphones while driving is legal in some places, it may cancel out your ability to hear car horns and other audio clues. An FM transmitter or other device connecting the music player to the car's stereo system is an alternative."

http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...ageRequested=4
__________________________________________________ _____________

http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/hearing.htm
__________________________________________________ _____________--

-EB

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 59
around here, I think you can only have one ear covered, if that.

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 59
I can't tell you for sure. But it certianly isn't smart, particularly with closed cans!

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 59
Why dumber than cranking your car stereo (completely legal)? Or talking on the cell phone (varies from State to State, but in the majority, completely legal)? I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't get a whole lot of auditory clues while on the road.

In answer to your question, Ebisky, such laws vary depending upon which State you are in. There are no Federal traffic laws. Each State must enact their own. If you tell me which State you are in, I can probably give you a more definite answer.

Rock On

Nick B

Aug 16, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 59
I agree, Nick.

On the road(if you drive automatic, stick drivers worry about engine speed) you generally don't get too many auditory cues. But when you do, they tend to be important. Catching the sound of squealing brakes a second too late because you had cans on could be the difference between being in an accident and avoiding one.

Headphones of all types are meant to concentrate your focus on the music and tend to take away your focus from your current physical environment, they block out or disrupt environmental sounds the whole time they are on your head, while even cellphone or headset only disrupts your hearing during a call. Cellphone + driving is a horrible combination of course, but wearing headphones while driving is certainly not any wiser.

Aug 16, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by krymson
Catching the sound of squealing brakes a second too late because you had cans on could be the difference between being in an accident and avoiding one.

I think that about sums it up.

Aug 16, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 59
I don't mean to be the jack*** that goes against the grain but I tend to use my eyes more than my ears while driving, i.e. if someone locks up their brakes I usually see their brake lights first and start judging how fast their slowing down.. But with that being said if you aren't following too closely you shouldn't have an accident in any case. But it's all relative I suppose. With that being said, I have driven on more than one occassion with my E3C's in.. haha.. And I am one of those "idiots" who tend to drive with their music loud.. But like I said, I'm more of an eye's guy, so there ya go..

JD

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 59
I would agree that loud music on your car stereo is not illegal and you can't hear anything with it up real loud, so why should headphones be any different? I mean, deaf people drive too.

The whole cellphone thing is totally different. The cell phone deal is that you are concentrating on your conversation. With music, it is more background and doesn't involve intellectual thought processing, otherwise there would be no music in cars at all.

I live in Illinois.

I've seen other people on the road w/canalphones on, driving down the road.

The car I currently drive doesn't even have a cassette player! So I opt to using my mp3 player, but didn't know if it was legal..I still, of course, can hear things on the road - I don't have it blasting loud.

-EB

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 59
Having open headphones on is no more dangerous than cranking up the stereo really loud. IEM's of course are another story. I definitely think that driving with IEM's or closed headphones is a bad idea.

I have worn my Stax 001 and Senn HD600 while driving without any problems, but then again, I'm not the type to freak out over something that may potentially, theoretically, detract from my ability to react at my utmost potential to a possible emergency that may or may not occur
rolleyes.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 59
Also, I understand that some of you "think" headphones are bad to drive with, so is reading a book or combing your hair - etc..

but is it ILLEGAL?! That's what I want to know and where is the proof if it is?

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Drive enough, with your headphones on, and eventually you'll regret it.
frown.gif

I've only used my mp3 player on long trips(3+ hours), driving on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back