Listening set-ups when you've got hearing loss
Jun 19, 2015 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

thelittleegg

New Head-Fier
Well, it's my first post, so it's in here, although I'm not sure if this is the best sub-forum for it?

I joined this forum because I guessed there would be both headphone enthusiasts and people with hearing loss in one place 
redface.gif
, and google certainly backs that theory up.

I've got hearing loss, an annoying, semi-treatable affliction that came on in my late twenties and early thirties. Luckily for me, some of it is what is known as a conductive loss caused by otosclerosis, which can often be treated with surgery, albeit with a small chance of becoming totally deaf. Anyway, I took the chance on my worst ear and the op gave me back a load of hearing on that side, but there was some sensorineural loss meaning that side still has a mild-moderate loss, similar to the other ear (-30-50dB IIRC).

ANYWAY, enough of that stuff, because it's pretty tedious and frankly, a pain in the arse.

The reason for my visit here is that I really, really want to find a good solution for listening to music. I've always had good hi-fi (have a lovely Quad/Spendor set up), and love listening to music, but listening with hearing aids in tarnishes things slightly. So if I whip them out and listen without them, the volume creeps up, my girlfriend kicks up a fuss and after all, I live in a flat so for the neighbours sake, it's a bit unfair.

I don't like listening to music with my hearing aids in, they add a sibilance to the music which is forced and unnatural. I want to find a way to listen to things and enjoy the quality reproduction that we have at our disposal with modern technology, despite my ********* ears.

So, last year I started looking at headphones and bought a pair of Audio Technica M50s, which are OK, and if I tweak the EQ on my computer slightly to adjust for my loss, it helps the sound a bit. Not really over-impressed though, and find them uncomfortable for more than 30-60 minutes, so think I will look for something else.

But this is where I'm stuck. Not specifically what brand or model of headphone, but how I'm going to set things up to suit my hearing loss. I've started looking at parametric equalisers, something where I can delicately modify the frequency ranges to try and compensate for my loss in a small way. I'm also very aware of not wanting to bump up frequencies unnecessarily and do myself more harm. I'm considering having a chat to my audiologist as well about this.

So, my point being, is there anyone else here who has a mild, moderate or worse hearing loss, and how do you deal with listening to music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back