listening music while on dentist chair
Jun 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GuruTech

100+ Head-Fier
hey friends!
i have a strange question to ask. I read on some other health forum, someone was saying that he listen to music while dentist is operating him. but yesterday when i was in severe pain and dentist was operating me for Root canal treatment, i could not even imagine to listen to music. 
Do you think this is a good idea? :xf_eek:

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 17
My dentist always asks me if I would like to listen to music and the one and only time I did, he kept on wanting to have a conversation while he was working. I wondered why he even bothered asking in the first place...

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
My dentist always asks me if I would like to listen to music and the one and only time I did, he kept on wanting to have a conversation while he was working. I wondered why he even bothered asking in the first place...

uh, your dentist wants you to talk while he's working inside your mouth? isn't that a bad idea? the only questions MY dentists asks me is "how's it going", "how's your flossing coming along", and "how many times a day do you brush?" :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
i have a strange question to ask. I read on some other health forum, someone was saying that he listen to music while dentist is operating him. but yesterday when i was in severe pain and dentist was operating me for Root canal treatment, i could not even imagine to listen to music. 
Do you think this is a good idea? :xf_eek:

This idea is not as bad as a dentist with his Denon D2000 listening to black metal while he's working on your root canal.
eek.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
No no no. IEMs. That way he doesn't have to hear the screams.

Let it be IEMs. As long as the music is misanthropical and the songs are about the beauty and futility of human suffering...

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
uh, your dentist wants you to talk while he's working inside your mouth? isn't that a bad idea? the only questions MY dentists asks me is "how's it going", "how's your flossing coming along", and "how many times a day do you brush?" :frowning2:

All I do is acknowledge him with a grunt while he's talking and working. He's fine with that I think. He's just a very sociable person.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

All I do is acknowledge him with a grunt while he's talking and working. He's fine with that I think. He's just a very sociable person.

you are so lucky to have a sociable dentist. My dentist talk rare and even he does not like to answer my stupid question :D 
well you dentist do not need to worry about the screams because i do not think any one can scream out loud with all this activity going on in one's mouth :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 17
Thats an interesting option for those who visit a dentist who is not friendly enough 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 17
When the person claimed they listened to music, I can't imagine that it was with using headphones. Most dentists have music piped into their offices, usually tuned to a local radio station, as mine does. Listening can be somewhat difficult though with the noise from drills, cleaning tools, etc.

True story - this past December I was at the dentist getting some cavities filled. I obviously couldn't talk with all the crap and whatnot in my mouth. My dentist and her assistant were unusually chatty, talking about everything from softball games to how to cook cauliflower. Since it was December, Christmas music was playing over the radio. The song Christmas Wrapping started playing and they began discussing who sang it. Their consensus was that it was The Go-Go's. I immediately protested with an "Uh uh" since I knew it was The Waitresses, which I told them once they were finished working on me.  

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 17
I never thought to use IEMs while at the dentist. Of course, I have an unusually hot dental assistant who flirts with me when my dentist leaves the room. Wouldn't want to miss it.

That reminds me, I should schedule a check up. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 17
LOL, I don't know about using IEM's, as the sounds of grinding, drilling, etc. will be magnified in the head if you stuff your ears with IEM's.  Ever try to brush your teeth with an electric toothbrush while wearing IEM's, particularly customs? 

-Ed

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 17
I think having IEM's or headphones on would make me feel less comfortable to be honest. Already got enough going on in my head at that  point.

Speaking of dentists and music, I just got a new dentist, she is stunning and she has a Muse calendar on the wall... I guess I'm  going to have to change that for her
tongue.gif
. Will have to strike up a music convo next time I'm in- she might treat me better then
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back