Listening Music--> comparing.
Jul 18, 2005 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DaHoboFest

Banned
Ok, I was thinking of making a section or an "artist" on my zen touch for critical listening, and comparing headphones. So I need some songs...

I need one for bass, preferably nothing bloated, like something with short impact something like the begining of "Anna Begins" by Counting Crows.

I need one for sound stage, something that goes all around the head, something like towards the end of "Up All Night" by Counting Crows, where they play the bongos, all around.

I also want something that where with 2 different bit rates you hear a noticable difference.

Also, something that shows detail.

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Jul 18, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm not sure if can suggest the perfect bass track, but for bit rate it's easy - just pick the song you are most familiar with, then rip it into two diff bit rates - try lossless versus 128 to start, then if you can hear ANY diff, compare lossless versus 192, then 224, then 320 - until you can't hear any diff. after all what matters most is that the songs you like sound good enough to you, not a generic test track.

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 7
If you want to test bass extension, try these tracks:

Gordian Knot - Arsis
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 7
I really like the opening bass "thunk" on "Sabrina" by Einstürzende Neubauten. It might be considered a little bloated by some, by I am familiar with it, so I know what to look for. I think what is being heard on that recording is proximity effect (extremely closely mic'd, "enhancing" the bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back