Listening level on Ety4p and an Ipod?
Aug 4, 2004 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

motifone

New Head-Fier
just curious

what's people average listening volume when using an ipod's headphone out with a pair of ER4P? (no amp)

generally, i'm about maybe 60% on the Ipod volume bar for most vocal songs; maybe 75% - 85% on quieter classical or soundtrack material.

I know this isn't scientific, just a curiosity---

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by motifone

generally, i'm about maybe 60% on the Ipod volume bar for most vocal songs; maybe 75% - 85% on quieter classical or soundtrack material.

I generally listen anywhere from 20-30%. Whenever I listen at a level greater than that for an extended period, the ear ringing starts
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 10
I have this combo and right now I'm listening to Tori Amos at 2/3rds volume. I quite often listen at full though, depending on material. If I'm out hillwalking with the player I usually have it fully up. That said, the firmware update for UK iPods that came out at the same time as the g4 units seemed to allow an increase in available volume, so I may use it lower in future.

Aug 4, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by motifone

That's way too high.

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 10
Usually at home I'll use 1/4-1/3 volume. If I'm at the gym usually 1/2 volume. The isolation really makes a big difference in loud places....I used to use 3/4 level at the gym when I had the stock ear buds and I still couldn't hear quiiet passages.

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 10
varies depending on which 'phones i'm using. maybe 5-7% at most with e5s. i'm shocked at how much volume some people seem to be using - could that be in noisy environments? even then, seems one could seriously damage one's hearing.

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 10
Anything above 50% is dangerous for your hearing. You don't turn up the volume to drown out outside noise. You stop listening to music.

Especially with ER4P, it can get LOUD. 3/4 of max volume, my eardrums can burst at that volume.

People, protect your hearing while you still have it.

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 10
I would recommend this for people who like to use ER-4P's
Try and let the seal settle down for about 10 minutes before beginning any listening. This allows for the ety's to fit in nice and snug, I noticed that my listening levels were down to 1/3rd of my player's max capacity.
And I could listen all day at that setting.
I think the setting measured similar to a 65 decibel noise which is quite safe for 8-10 hours. then again I could only leave them in for about 4hours after whic I let my ears relax for a couple of hours or so.

Aug 7, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Obviously some people's iPods have more power output than others. I'd put this down to the US firmware having less restriction. No way is even 100% volume on my UK 3G enough to be uncomfortable, let alone damage my hearing, with ER4Ps, and mildly loud music. I'd probably back off a bit for rockier stuff; background noise doesn't come in to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back