Listening chair set up
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gwertheim

Head-Fier
Hey all,

Looking to set up a listening station beside my comfortable chair.

It is close enough to my computer where I can run an optical cable no problem but switching songs would be a problem.

Anyone have an idea of how I can have access to my music on my server connected to my dac, to my amp, to my headphones? Or should I just get a DAP and call it a day

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 18
It is close enough to my computer where I can run an optical cable no problem but switching songs would be a problem.

Anyone have an idea of how I can have access to my music on my server connected to my dac, to my amp, to my headphones? Or should I just get a DAP and call it a day

Tablets and smartphones can control miniPCs, replacing the mouse and keyboard. Just look for "headless audio server." Just in case this requires restarting your computer every time you want to switch over to the tablet/smartphone, you can get an Android miniPC or Intel NUC running Win10 and then connect that to the file server on the network so you can access the same audio files.

Some player apps for desktop also allow for that through a dedicated tablet or smartphone app, like MediaMonkey and Monkeymote, and the equivalent for Foobar. I'm not supposed to restart my computer using MonkeyMote on an iPad and MediaMonkey on a Win7 computer, but it doesn't work otherwise. So this isn't any guarantee either, just something you can try before you blow $100 on a miniPC or NUC.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 18
Hey all,

Looking to set up a listening station beside my comfortable chair.

My server is part of my network, interface via iMac/iPad/iPhone as a remote.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 18
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 18
its why i have it

Feb 26, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 18
soooo you don't have this dac, server, etc... a cheap budget, im out

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 18
Well that sux, I was more hoping for a iPad like device which has an optical out and a simple interface similar to a DAP but connects to a network folder instead of onboard storage

lg_03.png

For $12,000 you might as well buy a Marantz NA7005, hook it up to your home ethernet, configure it to use your server, then run the Marantz remote app on a tablet.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 18
soooo you don't have this dac, server, etc... a cheap budget, im out

You got to start somewhere. Work with what you have and build from there.

I have a beast of a retired desktop/new server which was over built to hold 5+ hard drives and handle video editing and photoshop, it costs more than most roon nucleus models. My new desktop is the size of a shoebox and can do everything my old machine can do twice as fast.

That's the server I am starting with, using chromecast audio to connect to something like a jds labs El dac is not a problem for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back