Listening Bars
Dec 24, 2019 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

White Noise

Head-Fier
I try to at least pretend to follow the DJ/club/nightlife scene because I make house moosik and co-manage a small netlabel for experimental music. So while I don't have time to get out and perform my stuff, I like to have some idea of where and when it would work best. An interesting trend is starting to pick up coming out of Japan in which they have places you go and buy drinks and listen to music - on a high end sound system (as in not just the loudest PA they can stuff in their room). You don't dance the night away or try to make it an interesting experience with flashing lights, they just give you the best sound they can offer, and hopefully (and most likely for most people, especially in electronic circles) that's better than what you get at home or "the club". So I'll share the videos here I've found of the places in Japan and starting to pop up in Europe that have this sort of focus.

I'm from the U.S. so nowhere near any of this yet, I just wanted to see what the audiophile take on this concept is, if it's been attempted before outside the electronic music space, and just get a discussion of this kind of place going. Spoiler alert: these videos are super light on details of the systems in question and I haven't dug too deep trying to get more details. If you want to know more, take this and run with it. I just want to start the ball rolling.

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 5
In my opinion, alcohol and analyzing music is generally awkward. I feel that it’s a bit silly.

I do enjoy great cocktails and when there is music, the last thing I think about is sound quality. Sometimes I do think about the music theory or compositional aspect since I went to music school. But it’s kind of rare that I delve into that.

Dec 25, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 5
However, Gene Delesalla’s wife (the guy who does the Audioholics YouTube channel) is known to enjoy a glass of wine when she’s listening to vinyl. So I think that is a nice match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back