Listening 30 hours a week on $3 headphones
Oct 13, 2007 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nepenthe

500+ Head-Fier
I work for a large brokerage and investment firm. I work in a building that houses 3500 of our employees, many of them phone reps or processors. I myself am a director in a support/technology division, but I work on a floor with mostly processing reps (people who process requests and paperwork on the computer all day).

Many of these folks listen to music 30 or 40 hours a week. So they're putting in some major listening time. And what do they use for listening? I've been conducting a visual survey lately:
1. cheap earbuds (such as the ones that come with MP3 players)
2. $3 headphones issued by our company, mostly for the purpose of occasionally listening to short video clips from management, or training modules, or recorded phone calls

The latter are absolutely dreadful in terms of both sound quality and comfort. They're worse than mid 80s Walkman 'phones by a wide margin, and my ears start to hurt after having them on for more than a few minutes. The padding is minimal. The drivers have trouble reproducing any sounds below 140 Hz or above 6000 Hz.
eek.gif

And yet, week after week I see a number of people wearing these seemingly all day long! I just want to send out a floor-wide email letting them know that they *could* spring for $35 PX100s or any number of vastly more comfortable implements. I would expect people who spend a good 30% of their waking hours with headphones on to be much more demanding of those headphones.

It's safe to say if I had this amount of time to spend listening at work, I'd be extremely interested in getting the most comfort and nicest sound possible. Seems like a no-brainer, like a worthwhile investment in listening pleasure and luxury. But I've seen not a single person with anything better than stock earbuds or the company-issued crap.
blink.gif

That's all. Just a little frustrating I guess. Can you relate?

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 9
when i suggest spending anything around or over £50 for a air of headphones, most people gasp. to most people, it's not that big a priority.....headphones i mean.

shame really, because for a little, and i mean the slightest investment, it can open up a new world for them.

i uused to buy £20 technics headphones, over 20 years ago, and thought they were the biz, until i invested £13-14 in a pair of sennheiser PX30's or 40's. you may laugh, but they were a revelation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

it's also a matter of knowing who companies like sennheiser, grado, AKG are, and many people don't. hands up ,before i came here, i thought i knew a fair amount about headphones, but i'd never heard of companies like Ultrasone, CrosRoads Mylar, Equation Audio.

most people go for the obviouis big names. for me it was Technics, for other it might be Sony. don't be too hard on your fellow workers, it's your responsability to educate them.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 9
I see the same thing at work. People sometimes look at me funny with my K81 DJ's.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Not many people justify the added costs of "after-market" headphones, no matter how small it is. I bring my portable rig to office and listen to it with my AIWA earbuds (which, believe it or not, sounds better than the Er6i). No one questions the earbuds, but they inadvertently point to my rig and ask "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???". I used to tell the truth, that they are small amplifiers meant to improve sound. Invariably the silent replies were
rolleyes.gif
and/or turning heads. Now I just tell any passing on-lookers that they are power generator meant to prolong my iPod battery life. So much easier on both parties.
icon10.gif

Sound reproduction, let alone headphone, appreciation is truly a rare gift.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Koss KSC-75 would be cheaper (~$20 retail price).

It is kinda weird when some haughty-ish costume-wearing fellow (sales or desk-manning functionnaire, by the looks) with his silly white Apple earbuds stares condescendingly on the K-240S. And that, with the amp and player usually hidden from view.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You couldn't pay me to listen to $3 headphones for 3 hours a week, let alone 30.

-Ed

Well, that's a snobbish thing to say. Money isn't everything. Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it's bad (unlike this example).

You should say, "You couldn't pay me to listen to bad headphones for..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back