Listened to old Sennheiser 595 and looking for something similar :)
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tmattom

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

Up to now I was using the AKG K518 but I decided to get a new, better pair of headphones :)

I borrowed 3 different models from my friends, tested them on my Xonar D1 + Yamaha RX-V350 amp and all I want to say is:
1. Beats Solo had too much bass and no treble at all
2. Beyerdynamics Custom One sounded nearly the same as K518 (they have slightly soften treble, more muddy bass and as K518 - no scene at all)
3. And then I listened to Sennheiser HD 595 and I have to say that the are just near perfection. I really like the natural sound and hude scene of these ones. The problem is that they are not longer produced, so there is my question: What headphones (to 200$) do you recommend? After reading lots of reviews I think about AKG K550, Sennheiser HD 598 and Beyerdynamics DT990 PRO, but I still haven't listened to none of them so I don't know what to expect. The other thing is, that I won't be able to test those in store just like I've been testing the HD 595 comfotrably in my home with my PC and Amp.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Yep, I remember the first time I listened to the 595's and they gave me goosebumps!

Obviously the HD558/598 would be most similar. If you really liked the HD595 you should just go for the HD598. The DT990 is a completely different sounding headphone.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I was really happy with my K518's. But when my uncle plugged his 595 into my amp and I played Scorpions Holiday - these guitars! Then I knew I have to change my DJ's for something like those Senns :)

Thank you for fast response :) Anyway another question: is it true that K550's have much less bass than 595/598? I've already read that they sound much brighter and more analytic than those two. And I really love the sound of 595's (using them second day, but I have to give them back tomorrow ;/ )

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 8
It has neutral bass response IMO. It doesn't extend as deep but it has some punch to it. Though for many people neutral bass is lacking, and since you're coming from the 518LE which I understand to be bassy, you might not be satisfied.

Compared to the 598 it has a tad less bass from what I remember, but then the 598's aren't really bassy either.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 8
  Up to now I was using the AKG K518 but I decided to get a new, better pair of headphones :)

I borrowed 3 different models from my friends, tested them on my Xonar D1 + Yamaha RX-V350 amp and all I want to say is:
1. Beats Solo had too much bass and no treble at all
2. Beyerdynamics Custom One sounded nearly the same as K518 (they have slightly soften treble, more muddy bass and as K518 - no scene at all)
3. And then I listened to Sennheiser HD 595 and I have to say that the are just near perfection. I really like the natural sound and hude scene of these ones. The problem is that they are not longer produced, so there is my question: What headphones (to 200$) do you recommend? After reading lots of reviews I think about AKG K550, Sennheiser HD 598 and Beyerdynamics DT990 PRO, but I still haven't listened to none of them so I don't know what to expect. The other thing is, that I won't be able to test those in store just like I've been testing the HD 595 comfotrably in my home with my PC and Amp.

Is the motherboard's on-board audio disabled? in the BIOS
Hopefully your running analog audio cables from the Xonar DX to the Yamaha's RCA inputs?
I would assume a S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) connection between the Xonar and Yamaha would not sound as good?

Chances are the Yamaha's headphone output has a high impedance, so low ohm headphones might have a bloated (muddy) bass, while plugged into the Yamaha.

The Sennheiser HD558 and HD598 use the same driver, the HD558 comes with black rubber tape on the inside of the cups that cover 40% of the air holes, so removing the black rubber tape should make the HD558 sound somewhat more like the HD598s

Dec 20, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 8
I always thought that SPDIF used with 2 channels PCM provides the best quality... Why does using the analog cables would sound better than the SPDIF?

Also I don't like the idea od modding headphones - with my luck there is a great posibility that I would break them instead of modding them. And I think that opening the 558's voids the warranty.

@viralcow - the style of 595's matches my expectations more than the booming-ticking K518's. So that's why now I'm looking for more natural headphones :)

To be exact: I use an optical cable to connect Xonar and amp.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 8
Sorry for bumping, but I've just read that when it comes to natural sounding (and cheap) open headphones there is a Soundmagic HP200. In some reviews people say that they sound similar to HD650. Is it really possible for the headphones that cost half the price of the HD 650's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back