Listened to Gallo Strada / TR3 combo
Sep 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

cn11

Headphoneus Supremus
So on a whim I decided to give this setup a listen at the local dealer's home setup. I was really impressed. I've been an owner of the Reference 3.1's for a couple years now, but have been reading all the stellar reviews of the Strada setup, and have been very curious to hear them since I would ideally love to have large scale sound in a small, well designed package. I love the idea of a compact setup with a tiny footprint which yields a big sound that belies the size. Man, does the Strada/TR3 setup accomplish that. Every once in a while my Ref 3.1's can sound a tad harsh and bright in the highs, and in the upper mids. The Strada's take the detail and resolution to new levels, while remaining a very calm and mellow listen. They give a clearer window through which you can hear each individual instrument better, and more easily. When I came home the same passages on my 3.1's forced me to strain to hear the instrument separation. I had always thought the 3.1's were highly resolved and revealing, until yesterday! The Strada's sort of reminded of my Earsonics SM3's in how they managed to communicate all that detail and layering while being so smooth and relaxed at the same time. Great stuff. The TR3 is also a big improvement over the TR2 I got to demo at home a couple years ago. 

Problem is, now I want 'em! The dealer said he'd be more than happy to do a trade in of my 3.1's with bass amplifier, because he'd like to have them back in his stable for comparisons to the new Reference 3.5's (purchased the 3.1's from him originally). I was able to give those a short audition too. But I just fell in love with the sound those small Strada's produced. They seemed more open and surrounding over the Ref 3.5's. We agreed it must be somewhat due to the higher listening position with their dedicated stands. So, I think the next step would be bring the setup home to demo and see how it performs in my own listening environment compared to the Ref 3.1 w/bass amp. If I could come away somewhat close to the cost with my current speakers & amp, then I'll do it for sure. 

Anyone else heard the Strada's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back