Listened to a STAX L300 just now....
Nov 20, 2018 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
Blown away frankly, I think that would do nicely for an end-game for me. I had various other headphones in mind and even have the K7XX from Massdrop en route but that Stax sound was just sublime for me.

Can I ask what DAC recommendations you have? This particular one was being played out of the Teac UD-301 Dac.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 2
Can I Make a suggestion before you jump straight on the L300 try to see if you can demo any others in the range there are differences. Do you know what amp the stax was using this can make a big difference also what sort of music do you listen to?

Stax will insult all your other gear and the quality of your music not just bitrate and format e. g. Dsd vs Spotify but the quality of the recordings.

I would suggest a dac with little or no 'signature' I like my electronics to do nothing to the sound if at all possible within my budget and ability to discern differences. You may have a different view.

Here's an example from before I reached my current electrostatic end game (bhse 009s you will be mine one day :) ). I had 3 pairs of lamda's at one point Sr lambda pro, lamda Signature and original 1970's ish Sr lambda normal bias - modern ones all have a higher bias I sold the Pro and the Signatures which were the equivalent of today's l700 I didn't like them as much as the original . So I suggest looking at demoing some others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back