listen to rock, but don't want grados!
Oct 30, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 35
well with a budget of $500 youre definately in the mid-range of headphones.

going the computer-as-source route, you could get the chaintech av-710 which is supposed to sound very nice to any number of $300 amps (sr-71, headroom micro, hornet) to a senn 595 or 580, beyer dt880, dt770 or dt660. all of these with said amps and source will sound pretty good. that soundcard might even cut it for a temporary source for your stereo setup.

the 770's and 660s are closed. the 660's are easily modable to open but the 770s are permanently closed.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #17 of 35
I would suggest the HD595 as your choice of headphones; you want open headphones for rock but not Grado's. They're rather comfortable as well.

Here is my suggestion for the $500 range.
Modded EMU0404 ($170) -> Portaphile ($190) -> HD595 ($190)
That's a total of about $550. If you go used, that number can be drastically decreased.

Note: Do not underestimate a modded EMU0404....

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 35
I think the DT 880 is underappreciated as a rock phone. What's the problem, intruments too seperated out, maybe? Do people just want really heavy bass instead of clear natural bass? For an amp I would recommend headroom micro amp DM or ray samuels hornet. Much of your decision comes down to what amp you get and personal preference.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #19 of 35
Yeegads, suddenly everyone is recommending the hornet. Have tons of people heard this amp already, or something? Thought it just started selling today...
confused.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Yeegads, suddenly everyone is recommending the hornet. Have tons of people heard this amp already, or something? Thought it just started selling today...
confused.gif

I've heard it at a meet extensively. It made my Senns sound more forward and dynamic. The midrange is very lively and I think the combo can suit some rock very well.

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I've heard it at a meet extensively. It made my Senns sound more forward and dynamic. The midrange is very lively and I think the combo can suit some rock very well.

Thanks... I wasn't singling anyone out by the way, just saw maybe 3 recommendations for the Hornet today and sort of hoping it's not of the "FOTM" variety. Wouldn't be good for Ray's business anyway if the FS/FT forums were suddenly awash in Hornets
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
confused.gif

I heard it at the san jose meet. For me the DT 880s dont need tubes, but they do need a somewhat "thick" sounding amp. Some otherwise very good amps like the SR-71 or supermacro dont "synergize" well to my ears.

Of course their will be the obligitory period of worship for the hornet, but I think in the end people will be pretty divided on it. Personally I loved it, but the sound signature is... well... different than anything I've heard before. I expect there will be a couple people who hate it and a fairly large group that still prefers the SR-71. Don't worry I'm sure there will be plenty who love it, too.

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
(but 590 or the new 595 or 555 could be other options too)

I have the Micro Stack and the HD 555. I'm underwhelmed.

The tone sounds fine, but I'm not thrilled with the dynamics. The HD 555 sounds very nice on more sparse recordings, but when rock gets busy or loud, separation decreases and the dynamics hit a glass ceiling. Not the way to go for an exciting listen.

Nov 1, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I cannot see myself wearing uncomfortable cans, even for ten minutes. Maybe, that's just me.
biggrin.gif

the comfort thing is very much overblown. i have HP-2s, which are probably the least comfortable grados ever made, due to their weight and rather unelastic headband, and i don't get any discomfort using flat pads until about the 8 hour mark.

Nov 1, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
The Beyer dt990's do rock really well.

- augustwest

Agreed, I don't understand how people can NOT reccomend these when mentioning Grados. These lack the ridiculous Grado highs and have significantly better low end than any grado sr-325 or lower.

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #29 of 35
Alessandros?

I haven't heard from their headphones myself, but those who're bothered by Grado's screeching usually sway to Alessandros, as they seem to be more gentle.

Personally, Im looking for some answers myself to this question as I've grown a taste in metal. AKG 271s provides incredible amounts of detail for it, but I kinda want something with a bit more impact.

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #30 of 35
"These lack the ridiculous Grado highs and have significantly better low end than any grado sr-325 or lower."

You also get the comfortable Beyer ear pads at no extra charge. The same pads that Grado owners often pay $100 extra to have adapted to their phones.

Also keep in mind that the 990's, are selling for only $157.00 thru amazon.com. That's less than the price of the SR225.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back