Listen to headphones via system pre-power combo?
Mar 17, 2006 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pjr300

100+ Head-Fier
Is their any logical method to listen to headphones via your system components? I was thinking that mayve there is a creative way of using a tape loop or some other pre-amp output directly to a headphine amp or something of that nature. Thoughts? suggestions welcome!

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Let me add a thought: since the pre-amp is providing gain through its stage, is there a "headphone power amp" out there.... ultra small and low watts, no speaker cable jacks, just headphone jacks?

I'm looking low fi if needed; it's for the video system.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 4
You can have a headphone amp built with no volume control / attenuation. It is meant to be fed with pre-amp output from a pre-amplifier. I know Singlepower will build you one, and just about any of the DIY crowd will make you one in this configuration.
As far as adding an existing headphone amp with volume control to your system, yes, loop out is what you want to feed to headphone amp. Of course there is going to be some sonic degradation in feeding your amp via several components and interconnects. It should sound best when driven through the shortest path from source to amp.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the insight!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back