Listen and rate my compositions? :)
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

musical-kage

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

Would anyone like to listen to some music I have composed? Working on?
They are a mixture really... They go into classical/ambient/even dancier genres.

http://www.soundcloud.com/musical_kage

If you could listen and give feedback of what you think, I would be so happy :)

Been working on a couple of tracks for so long, but haven't known where to take them.

The track "Mood Synth", I actually composed back in 2006ish, and I managed to put it down all in one day. Never have I been able to do that since...
Content Synth then is meant to follow Mood Synth, followed by the track Noise.
Those are the three main tracks I would like feedback on, but I wouldn't mind feedback on the others too, and what you think of them.

I hate the drum part at the end of Content Synth, so that is certainly being removed, but I have no idea where to take it. Needs somewhere to go to take it from a 7, back to a 4 beat.

If you listened in that order, followed by the sample tracks, I would love that.

I use a MIDI keyboard to place the notes down, Renoise (a tracker based synth), and a variety of VST's for the sound.
The Piano with Violin sample on there and Harmony, I used Cubase to test what I could do different with it.

Thanks all that listen and/or comment. I really do appreciate the feedback.
I know the sound needs tinkering with, as they are far too quiet, but I find myself hitting the limiter, so need to use a compressor I think.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 6
They're not crap, bro. It still sounds like you're trying to find your schtick, though. One thing I will say is don't try to be overly rigid about your compositions. Let it flow from the heart.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
They're not crap, bro. It still sounds like you're trying to find your schtick, though. One thing I will say is don't try to be overly rigid about your compositions. Let it flow from the heart.

Thanks for the response :) Means a lot that I got a reply.

You mean I may be thinking about things too much and is why I can't finish them? It would make sense.

I've had more luck using Cubase, as I don't have to program every note in individually like I have to in tracking software, but that said, I'm not musically minded in the sense I know every chord, etc. I simply play around until I have something (VST's help for this, as good instruments help me think of something good), and then program it in, as most of the stuff I couldn't play live if I tried I have wrote in Renoise.
Mood Synth especially. SO that form of making music has its advantages for me.

I really struggle when it comes to the technical ends of writing music really, and it sucks.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 6
A non-profesional's opinion:

Overall everything sounded fairly professional, especially disturbances....can't think of any criticism to say about that one, I liked content synth and agree with you about the percussion not sounding right......and I really love the organ/synth of mood synth............so overall the music wasn't perfect, but I could tell that you put a lot of work into it by paying attention to detail and it really shows by the quality of your production, so good stuff 
popcorn.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
A non-profesional's opinion:

Overall everything sounded fairly professional, especially disturbances....can't think of any criticism to say about that one, I liked content synth and agree with you about the percussion not sounding right......and I really love the organ/synth of mood synth............so overall the music wasn't perfect, but I could tell that you put a lot of work into it by paying attention to detail and it really shows by the quality of your production, so good stuff 
popcorn.gif

Thanks so much LucEdwards :)

Yeah I really love the sounds I used for that too. Its actually a mixture of around 4 VST's in one go. Luckily my processor has no issues for the most part. I do occassionally get hicups and they come out in the recording, but once they are actually done, I may find myself exporting each track out into a seperate program and mastering properly, as I feel the quiet parts are far too quiet & I'll have more control that way.

I actually relistened to disturbances last night, and I can tell you, I think it sounds better now than it did when I made that little test... I may have to go back to it.

Thanks again. I hope to get back into it all soon, and to hopefully get some of it finished, but my perfectionism/procrastination is really killing me

My compositions are actually on a different drive, so I have to swap over back to XP to get back to them. I haven't had time to re-install everything on this Windows 7 build yet, so as a result, I haven't composed anything in about 6 months now...

I've been questioning whether to go to some kind of school for music, as I feel I need to do something. I need to learn more I feel. That said, I most likely won't now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back