List of introductory cans by price
May 14, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #47 of 79
MS1's w/BASSHEAD mod
eggosmile.gif

May 14, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #48 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking I'll be listening to music everywhere and anywhere. But, to that point, are closed headphones better than open ones or is the reverse true? I've read that open headphones are better than closed ones.

As for the type of music I listen to: Metal, Rock, Classical, Hip-hop, Pop, Rap, Jazz, Blues, and a bunch of other genres in that general order.

Open headphones usually sound better. Most of my headphones are open and I do 90% of my listening with them. However, there are 2 problems with open phones.

1. In places where you might disturb someone else, like a library. Some open headphones leak too much, especially if you listen loud.

2. Noisy environments. You tend to turn the volume up to hear over the background noise. Most likely you're turning the volume up to levels that can damage your hearing. I commute every day on the DC Metro. I took a sound meter on the train one day and measured sound levels between 95db and 105dB when the train was moving. I know I have in the past used my PX100 on the train and had to turn the volume to max on my iPod. This is probably 105-110dB. I'm happy I've only done this a couple of times, and I will never do it again. I want to be able to hear music into old age.
280smile.gif

Because of these, if I had to have only 1 headphone, I'd have and IEM or closed headphone. Currently I use IEMs, but I'm looking to buy a closed headphone for when I want to give the inside of my ears a break. I'll probably buy one of the Equation headphones in the near future.

May 14, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

I'm thinking I'll be listening to music everywhere and anywhere. But, to that point, are closed headphones better than open ones or is the reverse true? I've read that open headphones are better than closed ones.

As for the type of music I listen to: Metal, Rock, Classical, Hip-hop, Pop, Rap, Jazz, Blues, and a bunch of other genres in that general order.

Hip and and rap sound like ***** on open cans IMO. You need impact for those genres, and I haven't found open cans that sound good with those. Well, a LaRocco PRII attatched to anything adds punch, but I think you get what I'm saying.

I personally define "fun cans" as cans with PUNCH, not necessarily bass, but bass does add heavily into the equation. Punch is what gets your foot tapping. You can still have an eargasm depending on who you talk to, but fun cans=punch IMO. And open cans, lack that. Well, the ones I listened to anyways (recabled HD650s, HD600, K501, DT990). None of them sounded fun IMO...analytical and accurate as hell, but not "fun". Think a nightclub or bar, without woofers. Everything is there in all it's glory...cept the stuff that pounds your chest.

People think bass is bloated on closed cans....for most music it is, especially for some(most all) of the critical listeners here. But for hip hop and rap, the bass is "bloated" from the recording before it even touches speakers or headphones...

May 14, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #50 of 79
BASSHEAD mod!?!? What's that?

I thought you could deal with base before it gets to the headphones on your computer or your MP3 player.

As for volume, I usually hate hearing other people's music leaking out of their headphones and so do not do that myself. I have the volume at less than 50% most of the time and only turn it up to just above that when I really want to listen to something. And as for it being noisy around me, I don't think that will be much of a problem, though I don't want to jinx it. Basswise, I don't think I want overpowering, inner-ear shattering bass. I want it to be as clear as the rest of the music. To hear every single nuance of the music I'll be listening to is what is important.

So far it looks like a toss up between Equation RP-21 and Alessandro MS-1. One closed, safe for my ears, looks good, and so far has about half of a recommendation and one weird-looking, awesome, probably harmful to my ears set of headphones with lots of recommendations. I don't know, those RP21 headphones look real nice; would anyone else recommend them?

May 15, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

So far it looks like a toss up between Equation RP-21 and Alessandro MS-1. One closed, safe for my ears, looks good, and so far has about half of a recommendation and one weird-looking, awesome, probably harmful to my ears set of headphones with lots of recommendations. I don't know, those RP21 headphones look real nice; would anyone else recommend them?

Not to dissuade you, because I'm thinking of getting them too, but the RP-21 looks weird too. It's orange so it'll probably stand out more than the MS-1.

May 15, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 79
Not to totally derail this thread, but I am kind of in the same position, except I currently have a set of MDRV700DJs that I bought about 5 years ago (freshman in college...give me a break
smily_headphones1.gif
). I am looking for a new set of cans and have been considering the MS-1 pretty heavily. I like to listen to rock and some electronic-type-rock (think Radiohead) and I am kind of a basshead, which is my only concern with the Alessandros. I'll be using an amp, and I would prefer to keep the price around or under $200.

May 15, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #53 of 79
Are the MS-1's circumaural or supra?

They look similar to the SR series, which is why I ask.

- lk

May 15, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #54 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkelmain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the MS-1's circumaural or supra?

They look similar to the SR series, which is why I ask.

- lk

They're supra-aural

May 19, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

So, the Alessandro MS-1 is the best suggestion you guys can give for sub-$150 headphones? Nothing else sounds as good for the money?

That is not a statement that can be made in that way.
There are no "best" phones.
How good they are always depends on your taste and choice of music.
You've had a lot of suggestions for < $150 phones, why do you discard the others?

May 19, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #58 of 79
May 20, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #59 of 79
I discard them because they aren't endorsed by as many people as the MS-1 headphones are, Mr. Kees. I've looked at the rest and have decided, based on what others have said, that my taste in music is best fit by the MS-1 headphones. And, to tell the absolute truth, I find that the $100 price tag on these "cans" to be far more appealing than anything that costs more. Thank you for asking me such a question, Mr. Kees, so that I might make my thoughts clear: $100 headphones are preferable, many people like the MS-1 pair, I think they'll do just fine.

What do you suggest, Mr. Kees?

May 20, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

I discard them because they aren't endorsed by as many people as the MS-1 headphones are, Mr. Kees. I've looked at the rest and have decided, based on what others have said, that my taste in music is best fit by the MS-1 headphones. And, to tell the absolute truth, I find that the $100 price tag on these "cans" to be far more appealing than anything that costs more. Thank you for asking me such a question, Mr. Kees, so that I might make my thoughts clear: $100 headphones are preferable, many people like the MS-1 pair, I think they'll do just fine.

What do you suggest, Mr. Kees?

Is was here to give you a hand, but your tone of voice just made me change my mind.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back