List of introductory cans by price
May 12, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 79
Crossroads Mylar three, also called Mylarone X3, offer very good value for 57 USD including shipping. Very smooth and detailed for me unamped, and people say they respond well to amping so it might be a gateway drug for that too.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236356 , my own opinion and many pages of impressions seem to back up the fact that they are a very buy good indeed.

May 12, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #32 of 79
Others that might be added are: PK3, ep-630 and jvc fx-33.

ep-630 and jvc fx-33 seem to be the only two dirt cheap IEMs that ppl here recommend.

PK3 because that list could use a pair of quality earbuds, many beginners might feel more comfortable with those.

May 12, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #33 of 79
IMHO, based on brief impressions:

I've heard a pair of HD555 and HD595 side by side and I'd say that even though the HD595 is a tad bit better the HD555 offers better value for money. A beginner might not feel it's necessary to pay that much more for a difference that's quite hard to notice. Yes, the HD595 offers a slightly more detailed and refined sound, but it definitely comes at a price.

HD555 would be my value/introductory pick of the two (of course the urge to upgrade might set in later... but recommending gateway drugs to lure in fresh meat is basically the point of this thread anyway i suppose
evil_smiley.gif
).

May 13, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #34 of 79
Koss Plug & Sparkplug's $15

Where are you finding Marshmallows for $40? I can get them at local Best Buy for $20

May 13, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #38 of 79
What did your friend end up buying?

HD555 and HD595 - I don't think there is enough difference for a beginner to warrant the extra cash. People say the 595 needs to be amped to really shine. 555 is heaps better amped but also great unamped.

I think there should be a sticky of this sort with the best value/price/performance products divided into categories such as full size open, closed, portable, IEM etc. Would definitely help out a lot of the newbies. However there is a heck of a lot of stickies already.

May 13, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 79
He says:
"Looking at the Alessandro MS-1s, I find that they are highly recommended by most everyone because they have good bass and treble and are just plain kick-ass for $100 headphones...The only thing that bothers me about that Alessandro is that it doesn't look that good. I mean, good design is almost as important to me as sound quality. I do intend to use these headphones with a portable player as well as with my computer (and that means wearing them in public, though I don't mind big headphones). Not being too analytical of music, I don't mind not having those "audiophile" headphones, just good ones where I can hear everything."
Thus he's leaning towards MDR V6 or the PX100.
But I haven't shown him the updated list.
Let's see what else he thinks.

May 14, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #42 of 79
Hi, I'm that friend who's asking about good headphones.

Right now I'm thinking that I don't really want in-ear headphones because of my smaller-than-normal ears. *part of list becomes dust in the wind*
So far the Alessandro MS1 seems to be the best sound for the dollar, but the style gets to me. The reason I originally picked out those Sony MDRV700DJ headphones (now noted as a sin against all goodness and humanity) was because of their anime-ish style. Would you guys tell me what each of you thinks is the best on the list as compiled so far, ignoring style? Oh, and could you try your hardest to keep things under $150? I'm going to get an iriver clix gen 2 8GB ($250; out in June) and don't want to run up such a ridiculous bill on music. Thanks to you all for the amazing input I've so far seen.

May 14, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm that friend who's asking about good headphones.

Right now I'm thinking that I don't really want in-ear headphones because of my smaller-than-normal ears. *part of list becomes dust in the wind*
So far the Alessandro MS1 seems to be the best sound for the dollar, but the style gets to me. The reason I originally picked out those Sony MDRV700DJ headphones (now noted as a sin against all goodness and humanity) was because of their anime-ish style. Would you guys tell me what each of you thinks is the best on the list as compiled so far, ignoring style? Oh, and could you try your hardest to keep things under $150? I'm going to get an iriver clix gen 2 8GB ($250; out in June) and don't want to run up such a ridiculous bill on music. Thanks to you all for the amazing input I've so far seen.

Will you be listening in noisy environments or somewhere like a library where music can't leak? If so, you need one of the closed cans.

Also, what type of music do you listen to?

My first purchase after coming to Head-fi that I've been totally satisfied with was the PX100. Just to try in ears phones, you might want to try the JVC Marshmallows, I've never heard them, but they are cheap and you won't have wasted a lot of money if you don't like the feel of something in you're ear.

May 14, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #44 of 79
I'm thinking I'll be listening to music everywhere and anywhere. But, to that point, are closed headphones better than open ones or is the reverse true? I've read that open headphones are better than closed ones.

As for the type of music I listen to: Metal, Rock, Classical, Hip-hop, Pop, Rap, Jazz, Blues, and a bunch of other genres in that general order.

May 14, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #45 of 79
You're right, open headphones generally sound better than closed ones, assuming you don't mind sound leaking in or out.

I'm currently using my PX-100 for portable use, and definitely recommend it for someone looking to spend around $40 on headphones. These are open, but I have no problem listening while walking around in the city, and they even sound OK while on the bus.

I honestly really like the style of the SR-60 / MS-1. They look really retro and clunky in pictures, but when they're actually being worn they look really good, IMO. The headband and earpads sit tight on your head, and they look pretty sleek actually - a lot less clunky than those big plastic piece of crap Sonys. If you really like that kind of look, check out the Equation RP-21, as they should be good for the range of musical genres you listed. If you grow to like the Grado look, get the MS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back