List of High-end headphon....time to try something new
Nov 17, 2005 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
Bad news, since I have to move to another town for half year and live in a small room, therefore it is time to back to head-fi world. Since I had not been checking head-fi for a while, would you guys suggest a list of high-end setup (headphone + amp) in around $1500-$2500?
I have a Cary 303/300, therefore a balanced amp will be great. (of course, I know there are not much headphone amp come with balanced input)
Thanks

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 9
how about a balanced M3 from sft and some (balanced/recabled) sony MDR-SA5000s

probably cost you less than $1000 USD and sound pretty damned good.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 9
I doubt uncledan will be satisfied with the SA5k. It's a step down from the K 1000 in a good rig.

Do you still have any of your cans? I heard the balanced Maestro with the HD600 at the NYC meet, and it was absolutely fantastic. Best I ever heard out of those cans. But at $6k+, it's a bit out of your price range. If you still have your Senns, definitely give Mikhail at Singlepower a call. Actually, regardless of which cans you have, I think his amps are the ones to beat right now. Brings out magic from Sennheiser, Sony and I guess Grado (tho I didn't get a chance to listen to a balanced RS-1 - the cable wasn't working right). Dunno if he can do anything for you at that price (actually, only a balanced Gilmore such as the Dynamight might be within your range), but if you're looking for a top reference level, I think that's where you'll have to go.

Unless you're an audio-technica fan - then the DHA3000/L3000 seems to hit reference level as well.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the suggestion. As you may know, I tried so many setup before, but that was 2 years ago. However, I sold all my headphone setup and jump into speaker world.
Anyway, since my head is pretty big, I tried K1000 before, but it hurts me. I can not wear it more then 5 mins. I love Jazz and classical. Female vocal is my favorite.

In my mind, I may want to try SA5000, PS-1, L3000 or QUALIA010 (even the last 2 pairs out of my bugest. Of course, the safe approach will be 650+Zu.
Any others suggestion?

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncledan

In my mind, I may want to try SA5000, PS-1, L3000 or QUALIA010 (even the last 2 pairs out of my bugest. Of course, the safe approach will be 650+Zu.
Any others suggestion?

Well, I've owned all the cans you mention... and given your statements, I'd probably go with the L3000. But you know as well as I do, a lot of it is personal preference and what someone else says just doesn't apply sometimes. But for classical, jazz, L3000 is a remarkable performer that is absolutely fantastic with female vocals.

I think you have the major players listed. But then again, I'm biased as they're the ones that I've also tried.
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back