List of 3rd party music apps compatible with Sony NW-A100/ZX500 series
Nov 29, 2019 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

omlettes

Head-Fier
I'm researching the NW-A100 but there isn't much information about what music players work well with it. I've seen reports saying some apps don't utilize the onboard dacs and some apps don't respond to the hardware buttons. I'm hoping this thread can become a consolidated source of what music apps are compatible with the players.

NW-A100/A105/ZX500/ZX507 support

• GMMP: Unknown. Please report!
  • jetAudio HD: Unknown. Please report!
  • Neutrino: Unknown. Please report!
  • Poweramp: Unknown. Please report!
  • Pulsar: Unknown. Please report!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Usb Audio Player Pro HiRes Driver works on ZX507. Was able to playback 24bit 96Khz FLAC to both analog jack as well as bluetooth LDAC on WH1000XM3.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 4
Usb Audio Player Pro HiRes Driver works on ZX507. Was able to playback 24bit 96Khz FLAC to both analog jack as well as bluetooth LDAC on WH1000XM3.

How do you know it is compatible? Under the track information it is displays the format, bit dept, bit rate and everything else but doesn't mean that's the audio output. Same happens with PowerAmp and any other third party music app.

I reached out to the developers of UAPP (Usb Audio Player Pro) to see if we could get it supported, this is their answer:

"The Sony unfortunately doesn't have a HiRes direct unlike many recent Android phones and DAPs. It only has an 'offload' mode which in theory could be supported, but then we can only just pass the file names to the system so we wouldn't be able to decode MQA or perform any processing on our side. "

Then later on I asked to see if they could give me instructions on how to get it working or if there's anything I can do to get it supported by using the "offload" mode, needless to say they mentioned nobody can do a thing about it at the moment.

Sony announced they had solved the issue with third party apps being down-scaled to 16-bit 48kHz (which also was resampling everything to 48kHz, even 16-bit 44kHz FLACs) but it doesn't seem to be the case for any third party music player. They also said "With the firmware update, the output is now at 192 kHz / 32-bit, even if the original resolution is lower than 192 kHz / 32-bit. ". Which makes me wonder if everything is getting upsampled.

https://www.porta-fi.com/sony-updat...o-support-high-resolution-streaming-playback/

Any recommendations on music players that support the internal DAC are really welcome...

Or on how to get feedback to Sony because it is unbelievable that they do not support creating/editing playlists within your DAP. Bookmarks was their solution and they're limited to 999 songs and they cannot be backed up or exported (which is what annoys me the most).

I feel disappointed over such a simple, basic and essential feature missing.
Why would they move to Android only to make their DAPs worse?
-Android apps are limited to Android 16-bit 48 kHz driver.
-The same native music player lost features (you could actually create/edit playlists on the proprietary OS walkman series).
-Cannot be used as USB DAC unlike their proprietary OS series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back