list me some routers....
May 20, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
ones that i can use to data to my squeezebox 3. Do i need 108mps or will 54mps be fine?

Any problems with any make of router or anything that i should be aware of before i buy a router?

thanks

May 21, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 11
I assume you asking about wireless 802.11 routers. You need a reliable 802.11g or 802.11n router. I believe 108 Mbs is mostly a non-standard dual-channel scheme which varies between router manufacturers.

If you have other uses for the router besides streaming media, you should mention it now. For example, some routers are friendlier with bit-torrents. Other routers are friendlier for LAN parties. My immediate suggestion is to stay away from Netgear because my friends have such terrible experiences with them.

May 21, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 11
54mbps is just fine. at most a squeezebox will use up around 6 or 7 mbps of that bandwidth

May 21, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 11
May 21, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
linksys wrt54gs or gl with dd-wrt firmware. probably one of the most stable g routers, if not the most.

2nd'd Got mine overclocked at 240MHz though it doesn't make much difference (load averages are down...theoretically QoS should work a bit better too).

Also run OpenVPN on mine which is usefull for accessing my home network from across the internet.

May 21, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2nd'd Got mine overclocked at 240MHz though it doesn't make much difference (load averages are down...theoretically QoS should work a bit better too).

Also run OpenVPN on mine which is usefull for accessing my home network from across the internet.

3rd'd

DDWRT makes the WRT54GL performs like a pricy Cisco Router.

I don't know about you guys, but the DDWRT is wayyy more user friendly too!

May 21, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether for streaming or gaming, Linksys makes the best routers. However, their prices are way too high for average home consumers. Personally, I use D-Links, and haven't had any trouble with mine.

I think you mean Cisco, not Linksys. Linksys is the consumer line from Cisco, and is affordable for home users. And, like a few people above have mentioned, they are a good buy.

May 21, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3rd'd
I don't know about you guys, but the DDWRT is wayyy more user friendly too!

I wouldn't know...first thing I did was flash the firmware.
cool.gif

May 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 11
All of the routers in the market have their flaws. You will have to choose the lesser of the evils. Usually its easier to say don't buy this router.

If you are looking for something different, I strongly suggest looking at is Ruckuss wireless. They got a 802.11n-like antennae array product that beams over extended distances - good for punching through walls and sorts if you live in a big house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back