List 5 Must Hear Tracks for the Cans
Apr 11, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #16 of 38
Boards of Canada > Music Has The Right To Children > 1998 > Turquoise Hexagon Sun
Circulatory System > s/t > 2002 > Inside Blasts
The Evpatoria Report > s/t > 2003 > Voshkod Project
A Silver Mt. Zion > He Has Left Us Alone, But Shafts Of Light Still Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms > 2000 > 13 Angels Standing Guard 'round the Side of Your Bed
Slint > Spiderland > 1991 > Washer

EDIT: changed the BoC track, since that one is better I think.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 38
Kid A on the album Kid A for me is a wonderfull headphone track. One of my greatest audio joys is how Radiohead on that track uses all these washed out and abrasive sounds then, about 30 seconds into the song it throws in this so wonderfull, crisp and tactile beat from a single drum to carry the weight of the song. When placed next to those unatural sounds my ears cling to that wonderfull beat and I can feel stick making contact with the skin (even though I think the drum itself is electronic! HA!) It reminds me of how Monette would use bursts of red in is muddy paintings of apple trees. These dots of red were asked to carry the weight of these paints as well.

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 38
Frank Zappa - Zappa in New York (live) - "The Black Page Drum Solo/The Black Page, No. 1"

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die - "Djed"

Stereolab - Dots and Loops - "Parsec"

Mouse on Mars - Autoditacker - "Rondio"

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (Stereo Mix) - "God Only Knows"

Apr 12, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chelrob
Music is very subjective... No two people will have the same experieince even listening to the same rig and music.

My head (and ears) like lots of detailed information.

I'm just starting my equipment journey and I think I'm off to a pretty good start with the E-MU 1212m > Foobar2000 > ASIO > PA2V2 > Grado SR225s.

Maybe now you can zero in on something for me to listen to
icon10.gif

I was finding that I really liked faster and heavier songs with the SR225s than I usually like. For instance, I was listening to the Led Zeppelin "Early Days" cd and two songs I normally don't listen to, "Communication Breakdown" and "Rock n Roll" sounded better than the other songs with them. Also Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" was good, I tried to listen to it once I got my new headphones but I didn't really enjoy it as much.

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 38
These are best I can think of at the moment,

Maudlin of the Well - [Bath] Marid's Gift of Art (Just an example of how well Bath/LYBM are recorded for headphones)

Isis - [Panopticon] Altered Course (Not their best, but this track just gets me everytime)

Mogwai - [Rock Action] Take Me Somewhere Nice (The title says it all)

Shpongle - [Are you Shpongled?] Shpongle Falls (The opening sounds like being transported through a vortex)

Hallucinogen - [VA - The Mystery Of The Yeti - Part 2] The Herb Garden (Actually listen to the whole album, and part 1 too...if you can!)

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #21 of 38
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk - 1979 -Over and Over ( a must)

Greatful Dead - Dead Set - 1981 -Loser

Martin Sexton - The American - 1998 -My Maria

Bruce Cockburn - The Charity of Night - 1996 - Pacing the Cage

Indigo Girls - Rites of Passage - 1992 - Ghost

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #22 of 38
~RS-1's~

Hi I edited my post here just to inlcude 5 songs, hope this helps those that it bothered.

Beatles Abbey Road Maxwells Hammer MFSL Half Speed LP Harvest
Dead Can Dance Nierika 4ad / Wea
Pink Floyd Waiting for the worms MFSL CD Mobile Fidelity 2-537
Flaming Lips One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21 Warner Bros
Radiohead 2 + 2 = 5 ((Live At Earls Court 261103)) Japan Bootleg -blue/white cover- rel 2005

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

The Beatles > Let It Be… Naked > 2003 > For You Blue

Of all Beatles songs, that's an interesting choice, considering that there is no bass on it.

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Of all Beatles songs, that's an interesting choice, considering that there is no bass on it.

The soundstage is beautiful on that track. The lack of Bass really makes it crisp and clean. All that picking, plucking and strumming really appeals to my senses.

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
~RS-1's~

top 15 albums..

Absolutely the sickest.. (sick meaning good here)
rolleyes.gif

Beatles Abbey Road
Dead Can Dance Spiritual (if you don't have this buy it)
Pink Floyd The Wall MFSL or Meddle MFSL or DSOTM MFSL
Flaming Lips Yoshi battles Pink Robots
Radiohead OK Computer or Japan Bootleg blue/white cover 2005 release (part live part studio)

Really Sick..

Todd Rungren Something Anything
Beck Mutations
For Duke 24 kt gold Master Recording
Beatles Help Silver Pressed MFSL PROMO CD UD
Slipknot Subliminal Verses

Super Sick..

Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream
REM Green Australian 24kt gold special 95 tour edition
Jethro Tull MFSL UDI Thick As a Brick
Vaselines Way of the Vaselines
Supergrass best of 94-04 UK Edition
Shins Oh, inverted world

That's very much appreciated but there's another thread or two already for "albums". Looking for specific tracks here. I am going to check those out though, Thanks.

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
These are best I can think of at the moment,

Maudlin of the Well - [Bath] Marid's Gift of Art (Just an example of how well Bath/LYBM are recorded for headphones)

Spot on.

Everyone needs to try Maudlin of the Well
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #27 of 38
Liquid Tension Experiment - Osmosis
Miles Davis - Doo Bop
Hallucinogen - Gamma Goblins, Pt. 2
Infected Mushroom - Noise Maker
Infected Mushroom - Psycho
Getz/Gilberto - The Girl from Ipanema (well at least must be heard on UE-10s anyway
wink.gif
)

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

That's very much appreciated but there's another thread or two already for "albums". Looking for specific tracks here. I am going to chack those out though, Thanks.

Sorry,

it hard to list just 5 songs, will edit my post as appropriate, sorry for the suggestions, it is in my musically inclined good nature
cheers

Apr 14, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Sorry,

it hard to list just 5 songs, will edit my post as appropriate, sorry for the suggestions, it is in my musically inclined good nature
cheers

It's fine, leave them as they are. I plan on checking out all of them.
- Thanks

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #30 of 38
Miles Davis - So What?
Miles Davis - Freddie Freeloader
Miles Davis - All Blues
Miles Davis - Blue in Green
Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

haha. ha.

It's hard to be serious - there is far far far too much good good music to narrow it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back