Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,082 of 1,803
Any recommendations for the Audeze Lcd-X friendly tubes? The stock tubes sound good with the midrange but it seems to really tame the dynamics of my pair and simmer down the low end quite a bit. My Xcans deliver the dynamics but the midrange isn't as luscious. I've been potentially looking at Reflectors/Jan Phillips e88cc tubes. Was wondering if anyone has experience rolling for the LP with Lcd-X's

Sep 14, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,084 of 1,803
Bought a single 7730 and prior to using it, tested it as I always do. REALLY poor readings of 91 / 60. My other 7730 is 91 / 91. At $99 this is going back to the seller!

Oh well, I've been buying tubes for almost 20 years and one of my few bad dealings with a tube dealer. I can understand (and would not be happy) with a 10% or even 20% difference plate to plate but not off this much.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,085 of 1,803
Bought a single 7730 and prior to using it, tested it as I always do. REALLY poor readings of 91 / 60. My other 7730 is 91 / 91. At $99 this is going back to the seller!

Oh well, I've been buying tubes for almost 20 years and one of my few bad dealings with a tube dealer. I can understand (and would not be happy) with a 10% or even 20% difference plate to plate but not off this much.
Dunno the 1 tube testing 91/91 looks to be shady, the 91/60 looks balanced to me.
Seriously sending back that crap unbalanced tube is a good idea. Tubes like that have been a noisy mess on the LP.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,087 of 1,803
I just bought the LP, haven't shipped yet, but reading all the forums for tube rolling... but I am just a noob..
How do you remove the socket saver when it sits flash?

thanks

Hi @TsKen

As @TK16 and @nwavesailor mentioned, purchase the socket savers and adapters from Tubemonger, you’ll need two of each. I’ll post the links for each below.

Tubemonger socket savers:
https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm
Looks like they are currently out of stock but should have more in soon, you’ll need 2

Tubemonger 12**7 to ECC88 adapters:
https://www.tubemonger.com/12Axx_to...IB_1960s_p/12axx-ecc88-adap-novib-mcmurdo.htm
You’ll need 2

The Brimar ECC82 1970s HALO-DISC Getter Short Plate Mazda LABEL - Thorn-AEI - England tubes you purchased are amazing tubes and I believe you will be happy with them!

When you get the socket savers and adapters, install the socket savers first then the adapters, as this will let you go back and forth between ECC88/6922 tubes and ECC82/12AU7 tubes, also once you install the socket savers, adapters, and tubes I recommend you let the tubes burn-in for atleast 2 days (most of us who burn-in tubes, burn them in for 100hrs.) this is simple to do as once tubes are installed just turn on the LP and leave it on for the allotted time frame.

Hope this helps!

Below is a picture of the LP with the Tubemonger socket savers inserted

A266C164-E2AC-45F6-96B7-5E14F07FD3E9.jpeg

Below is the LP with both the socket savers and adapters installed with a pair of ECC82/12AU7 tubes

6CA1A71D-9B06-4A4E-9F6F-17A01841A9DF.jpeg

Below is the Tubemonger socket savers and a pair of ECC88/6922 tubes. Basically the socket savers do two main things,
First they make tube rolling much easier and second the protect you gear, the third added benefit is with Tubemonger’s vibration resistant bases they can help reduce noise in microphonic tubes.

8A531821-56A9-4C84-BDC1-B61FA0A8AD43.jpeg

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,092 of 1,803
If @TK16 posts a pair of tubes. Buy them! One of the most knowledgeable people I know regarding tubes.
:beerchug:

Your sales pitch for the 12AU7 has me chasing adapters though, otherwise, this is a great price for these Heerlen D Getters. I would also otherwise be all over these, but just recently got the alleged Holy Grail Reflektors 6N23p (75 SWGP SIlver Shields -- which sound really really good so far...)

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,094 of 1,803
Your sales pitch for the 12AU7 has me chasing adapters though, otherwise, this is a great price for these Heerlen D Getters. I would also otherwise be all over these, but just recently got the alleged Holy Grail Reflektors 6N23p (75 SWGP SIlver Shields -- which sound really really good so far...)

BTW, if you are looking for adapters, a long-time member of these forums, @Deyan, makes some. He will also make them taller, so they are easier to remove from the LP than more standard, shorter adapters. Dealing with him was super-smooth and fast. My only advice is that you ask if he can make the adapters in black. I got them in white, and wish I had bothered to ask ahead of time. You can also look for other members of this forum that have mentioned him.

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,095 of 1,803
BTW, if you are looking for adapters, a long-time member of these forums, @Deyan, makes some. He will also make them taller, so they are easier to remove from the LP than more standard, shorter adapters. Dealing with him was super-smooth and fast. My only advice is that you ask if he can make the adapters in black. I got them in white, and wish I had bothered to ask ahead of time. You can also look for other members of this forum that have mentioned him.

Thanks, yes, i've already approached Deyan for pricing and such. Thank you for the tip regarding color - all the adapters i've seen of his, were black, so I assumed that was the standard. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back