Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 27, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #526 of 1,802
Hi @TsKen

Just wanted to let you know that Tubemonger has the socket savers back in stock
https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

See the above post for what you will need.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much for the help! I've placed an order and they will be arriving next week. I'll post my impressions then.

Pretty excited to try something new besides the stock tubes. I wonder how much difference it will make.

Ken

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #527 of 1,802
Thank you so much for the help! I've placed an order and they will be arriving next week. I'll post my impressions then.

Pretty excited to try something new besides the stock tubes. I wonder how much difference it will make.

Ken
I found my personal "holy grail" tubes to make all the difference in the world. And the "wrong" tubes to have the exact opposite effect.

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #528 of 1,802
I found my personal "holy grail" tubes to make all the difference in the world. And the "wrong" tubes to have the exact opposite effect.

I really enjoy the stock tubes already so worst case i'll either try more tubes or just stick with the stock ones. Either way the Liquid Platinum is one hell of an amp and is a huge upgrade coming from a Lyr 3. Love it!

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #529 of 1,802

Ken

I really enjoy the stock tubes already so worst case i'll either try more tubes or just stick with the stock ones. Either way the Liquid Platinum is one hell of an amp and is a huge upgrade coming from a Lyr 3. Love it!

Glad I could help!

For me the Brimar ECC82 1970s HALO-DISC Getter Short Plate Mazda LABEL - Thorn-AEI - England are a Big step-up from the stock Tubes. However this does very person to person as we each have are “own” hearing and “sound signature” we like. Plus different gear being used in the chain from source, Dac, amp, headphones etc. though I do believe you will enjoy the Brimars, also if you do decide to start tube rolling, ask for recommendations here. As we can give advice and point you in the right direction of tubes to try.

You are correct the LP is an awesome amp.

Jul 29, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #533 of 1,802
Hi @TsKen

As @TK16 and @nwavesailor mentioned, purchase the socket savers and adapters from Tubemonger, you’ll need two of each. I’ll post the links for each below.

Tubemonger socket savers:
https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm
Looks like they are currently out of stock but should have more in soon, you’ll need 2

Tubemonger 12**7 to ECC88 adapters:
https://www.tubemonger.com/12Axx_to...IB_1960s_p/12axx-ecc88-adap-novib-mcmurdo.htm
You’ll need 2

The Brimar ECC82 1970s HALO-DISC Getter Short Plate Mazda LABEL - Thorn-AEI - England tubes you purchased are amazing tubes and I believe you will be happy with them!

When you get the socket savers and adapters, install the socket savers first then the adapters, as this will let you go back and forth between ECC88/6922 tubes and ECC82/12AU7 tubes, also once you install the socket savers, adapters, and tubes I recommend you let the tubes burn-in for atleast 2 days (most of us who burn-in tubes, burn them in for 100hrs.) this is simple to do as once tubes are installed just turn on the LP and leave it on for the allotted time frame.

Hope this helps!

Below is a picture of the LP with the Tubemonger socket savers inserted

Below is the LP with both the socket savers and adapters installed with a pair of ECC82/12AU7 tubes

Below is the Tubemonger socket savers and a pair of ECC88/6922 tubes. Basically the socket savers do two main things,
First they make tube rolling much easier and second the protect you gear, the third added benefit is with Tubemonger’s vibration resistant bases they can help reduce noise in microphonic tubes.

Hello,

Would you pls let me know how long is the diameter of Tubemonger socket savers? is it 23.5 mm? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back